Housing Accommodations

Residential Living and Learning is committed to providing a healthy, inclusive and safe environment that supports the growth and development of all students. We recognize that some residential environments and configurations may not be completely accessible to all students. Therefore, students may request additional consideration for their housing assignment in order to have equal access to the residential experience.

Request for ADA/Accommodation

After completing a housing application, students who are seeking additional consideration in the housing assignment process or reasonable requests for modifications to their housing assignment must submit a Request for ADA/Accommodation.

To help make certain each student receives an appropriate housing assignment, the accommodation request process has been developed in collaboration with the following departments:

Types of Accommodation Requests

Students with documented physical, psychological, or other medical condition(s) may request a reasonable accommodation for their assignment, including but not limited to the location on campus, room type, bathroom type, or amenities offered within the assigned space which affords the student with an equal opportunity to use and enjoy their living environment. Reasonable modifications to existing room assignments based on a medical condition should be submitted through this request process, as well.

Students who wish to request approval for Emotional Support Animals and Service Animals within the residence halls must submit the Request for Animal-in-Residence found on the Housing Central Home Page.  Students do not need to submit a Request for ADA/Accommodations for an Emotional Support Animal or Service Animal.

Submitting a Request for Health-Based Accommodations:

Step 1. The student completes the Request for ADA/Accommodations found on Housing Central.  All requests for accommodation must include documentation from a licensed healthcare professional treating the student for the condition related to the accommodation requested. The one item of documentation that is required for all health-based accommodation requests is the Health Care Provider Form. This form is located within the Request for ADA/Accommodations on Housing Central. Additional documentation may be provided if the student feels it will assist in the housing assignment process.

Required Health Care Provider Form

Prior to contacting their healthcare provider, students should review and plan to discuss the following topics regarding their specific situation and diagnosis. The physician may find it helpful if the student has already given some thought to these items and can offer assistance when completing this form.

  • Student has a current diagnosis, a history that is the basis of the request, and a documented prognosis.
  • Student has current, substantial disability-based limitations that relate to the residential hall environment
  • Student's current treatment, medication, and/or other mitigating measures used or recommended by the provider as they relate to the disability and housing needs
  • Any substantial medication side effects, if applicable
  • A complete description of the desired housing configuration and a discussion of why this specific configuration is the necessary accommodation for the student's disability.
  • An indication of the level of need for the recommended configuration (and the consequences of not receiving it). Consider whether the impact of the condition is life-threatening and any negative health implications if the request is not met, as well as if the request is an integral component of a treatment plan for the condition in question.

All documentation pertaining to the student's application may not be more 3-years old. The health care provider cannot be an immediate family member or have the same last name.

If the student is registered with Academic Success for academic accommodations, further documentation may be required in order to substantiate the request for housing accommodations. Residential Living and Learning do not share student information with Academic Success and vice versa unless there is a need to know the situation.

If the student is currently working with an on-campus care provider at the University (Counseling Services, Student Health Services, etc.), the documentation provided by that office must follow the guidelines listed above.

Step 2. The Associate Director for Housing Operations & Administrative Services reviews each request along with the supporting documentation provided and reaches a decision about the request. If additional information is needed or clarification, a personal interview with the student may be scheduled by the Associate Director.

The following criteria will be considered when evaluating housing accommodation requests:

  1. Has the student provided adequate documentation from their professional health care provider?
  2. Does the documentation clearly articulate the need for this housing accommodation with supporting information?
  3. Was the request made prior to the priority deadline? - All forms must be received by the priority deadlines (i.e. for continuing students prior to March 1, for new students prior to April 1 (fall) or November 1st (spring). Any requests received after the priority deadlines may or may not be approved dependent on space availability.

Step 3. The student is notified of the request decision via their Stetson email account. If the request is approved, the communication will include the specific housing assignment. The recommendation from the health care provider and available space within residential housing determines the assignment.  There is no guarantee that any student will be placed in a specific residence hall or room type.

If the request is denied, a rationale explaining why the request was denied will be included in the communication, providing the student with context for the decision and additional resources available to the student at the university.

It should be noted that simply submitting the Request for Housing Accommodations does not guarantee the request will be granted. Accommodations are made based on the recommendation from the health care provider and space available in the residential buildings that can accommodate the request.  

Students who wish to request approval for Emotional Support Animals (also known as Comfort/Companion Animals) and Service Animals within the residence halls must submit the Request for Animal-in-Residence found on the Housing Central Home Page.  Students do not need to submit a Request for ADA/Accommodations for an Emotional Support Animal or Service Animal. Learn more about the Request for Animal-in-Residence.

While Residential Living & Learning is not required to provide special consideration for religious beliefs or practices during the assignment process, we strive to provide assignments that fit the needs of all students.  Students who wish to request religious-based accommodations pertaining to housing must submit the Request for ADA/Accommodations, including a letter from a spiritual advisor explaining the rationale behind the request. Students should be proactive and request such accommodations in a timely manner. All students, regardless of religion, must adhere to the Community Guide to Residential Living & the Code of Community Standards.  Therefore, certain religious-based accommodations cannot be approved if they conflict with residential and university policies.

Residential Living & Learning does not provide housing accommodations based on a student's dietary restrictions.  All students living within residential buildings will have access to a kitchen (community or apartment) and mini-refrigerators are permitted in the residential buildings. Please review the residential packing list for cooking items that are approved and prohibited within the residential buildings.

All issues related to food or dietary restrictions are addressed directly through Dining Services. Any students with food allergies or dietary restrictions are encouraged to contact the Residential Dining Director, Marie Destinvil, at 386-822-8780 to schedule a one-on-one meeting to discuss needs and accommodations.  If the Residential Dining Director feels that additional consideration should be made in regards to a student's housing assignment, the Director will reach out to Residential Living & Learning with a recommendation regarding a housing accommodation.  You can read more about options for dietary accommodations on Dining Services' website.

Accessibility Services at Stetson University provides recommendations for reasonable academic accommodations to ensure that there will be no discrimination on the basis of disability. An academic accommodation is any change in the policies or procedures of a course and/or academic program for the purpose of allowing a student with a disability equal access to learning and an equal opportunity to demonstrate knowledge. These recommendations are developed through the review of disability documentation and with the consideration of each student's individual needs, strengths and academic program. Students who wish to request an academic accommodation should submit a request through the Accessibility Services website.

Please Keep In Mind

Submitting a request for ADA/accommodations does not guarantee that your request will be granted or that space will be available in your requested assignment at the time your request is considered. Consideration for accommodation requests is given based on the date the request and all required documentation is submitted and space available within the residential buildings. The university has a limited supply of each different room type, bathroom type, residential area, etc. We attempt to grant as many requests for ADA/accommodations as our supply of specific residential space will allow. However, there may be situations where the type of accommodation request is no longer available on campus. We will work with students in this situation to identify an assignment that best meets their request and may reach out at a later date with an offer to re-assign the student as appropriate space becomes available.

During certain times of the academic year, a response to a Request for ADA/Accommodations may take up to two weeks.

Renewing Your Request for Future Terms

Approved accommodations are only approved until the end of the Housing Agreement period in which they were requested. For example, an approved accommodation request for Fall 2023/Spring 2024 is approved for the Fall 2023 and Spring 2024 academic terms only. A Request for ADA/Accommodations must be submitted for each future academic year for consideration and approval.

If the accommodation requested for a future term is the same as that approved for a previous term and the documentation provided for is less than three years old, new documentation is not required. The documentation already on file with Residential Living & Learning will be used for the accommodation request.

If a student’s accommodation needs have changed from the previously approved accommodation or the documentation on file is more than three years old, the student will be required to submit updated documentation.