Workshops Available On Request
- Handling the Paper Load in a WE course
- Designing and Proposing a WE course
- Building Writing and Research Curricula in Programs
- Responding to Student Writing For Maximum Impact
- Discipline Specific: Analyzing Genre Conventions for Students
- Grammar 101: Refreshers for Teachers
- Teaching with Writing: A Primer of Priorities
Resources for Writing-Enhanced Courses
- Goals of Writing Enhanced Courses
- Hallmarks of Writing Enhanced Courses
- So, You're Teaching a First Year Seminar...
- List of Writing Enhanced Courses
- Proposing a New Writing Enhanced Course
- Using Peer Groups
- Using Portfolios in a Writing Enhanced Course
- Writing Assignments in Writing Enhanced Courses
- Writing to Learn and Communicate in Writing Enhanced Courses
Examples of Writing-Enhanced Assignments and Syllabi
Examples of Successful Proposals for WE Courses at Stetson
- HIST 105 "Modern Western Civilization"
- PSYC 203 "Great Experiments"
- MUSC 197A, "History of Popular Music"
- COMM 311 "Classical Rhetoric"
- GESS 498 "Senior Research Proposal"
- ECON 498 "Senior Research Proposal"
- MC 392 "Song Literature"
- AFST 350A "Advanced Africana Literature"
Examples from Other Colleges and Universities
Faculty Development Workshops
- Writing and Information Literacy Minimums (recommended for FSEMs)
- Spring 2016 Information Sessions
- Handling the Paper Load (Sept 2013)
- August 2013: FSEM Pre-Term Faculty Development workshop packet
- April 2012: FSEM Faculty Development Workshop packet
- August 2011 FSEM Faculty Workshop packet of materials.
- Incorporating Writing into Course Unit Classes. April 2009 workshop
- 2008 "Teaching Conversation" about teaching with writing. Includes example grading rubrics and assessment criteria.
- 2008 "Teaching Conversation" document offering an example rubric for a term paper in any discipline.
Writing to Learn
- Avoiding Plagiarism: more than a checklist of what not to do. Check this out, from Purdue University's Online Writing Lab
- Defining and Avoiding Plagiarism "Best Practices," The Council of Writing Program Administrators
- Harris, Robert. "Anti-Plagiarism Strategies for Research Papers." 2009
- Plagiarism Scenarios - A useful activity for teaching your classes about plagiarism
- Preventing Plagiarism
- One of our reference schools, Carleton College, instituted a writing-intensive curriculum in 2001; part of their program is the writing portfolio. click here for information about Carleton's Writing Program.
- Hesse, Doug. Portfolio Grading Standards for ENGL 101. from Teaching Composition, Urbana, 2005. (PDF file.)
- Portfolio terminology. Nedra Reynolds, from Portfolio Keeping: A Guide for Instructors (PDF file)
- Reflective elements in portfolios. Nedra Reynolds, from Portfolio Keeping: A Guide for Instructors. (PDF file)
- Grading the portfolio. Nedra Reynolds, from Portfolio Keeping: A Guide for Instructors (PDF file)