The Stetson University Writing Center offers free tutoring in writing to all Stetson University students, staff, and faculty. Our friendly, trained peer tutors help writers across campus with any type of written work, at any stage of the writing process.
Writing tutoring will be held both in person and virtually. To make an in-person appointment, choose "Writing Center" when booking appointments on Stetson SSC. To make a virtual appointment, choose "Online Writing Center" when booking appointments on Stetson SSC. This video explains how to meet your tutor online using Microsoft Teams. This video explains how to book an appointment using SSC both online and in person.
The Writing Center offers 15-minute class visits and 40-minute workshops on topics related to writing. If you are interested in scheduling a presentation for your class, email [email protected].
The workshops offered include:
- Introduction to the Writing Center
- Academic Integrity
- APA Style
- Chicago Style
- MLA Style
- Academic Writing
- Thesis Development and Organization
- How to Write an Argumentative Essay
- Sentence Fragments and Punctuation
- Peer Review
- Professional Writing and Rhetoric
The following is a brief description that explains what students can expect when they visit the Writing Center. Instructors are encouraged to copy it into their syllabus for this semester.
Visit the Writing Center! Peer tutors can help at any point in your writing process, from brainstorming to revising. Although peer tutors are trained to identify and explain patterns of errors to students, tutors do not write, edit, or grade papers. The peer tutors at the Writing Center can be most helpful if you do the following:
- Formulate: come prepared to the session with specific writing issues to discuss
- Focus: be engaged in the session by playing an active role in discussing your paper with the tutor
- Follow through: take notes during the session and make changes afterward
"Like" us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram @stetsonwritingcenter for the latest announcements, updates and news!
If you have any questions about our services or would like to request a class visit or workshop, please email us at [email protected].
- Online and In-Person Tutoring: Tutoring sessions will be offered in person or held online via Microsoft Teams for Fall 2023.
- The Writing Center is closed on all university holidays.
- The Writing Center will be closed Monday, September 4 for Labor Day and will reopen Tuesday, September 5t at noon.
- The Writing Center will be closed October 12-13 for Fall Break and will reopen Monday, October 16 at noon.
- The Writing Center will be closed Tuesday, November 7 for Values Day and will reopen Wednesday, November 8 at noon.
- The Writing Center will be closed Friday, November 10 for Veterans' Day and will reopen Sunday, November 12 at 3 p.m..
- The Writing Center will be closed for Thanksgiving Break November 22-24 and will reopen on Monday, November 27 at noon.
Locations and Tutoring Hours (Fall 2023)
- Main Location: the first floor of the duPont-Ball Library
- Mondays: noon -10 p.m.
- Tuesdays: noon -10 p.m.
- Wednesdays: noon -10 p.m.
- Thursdays: noon -10 p.m.
- Fridays: noon -3 p.m.
- Sundays: 3 p.m. - 6 p.m.
- LBC Room 118: the first floor of the Lynn Business Center
- Wednesdays: noon - 3 p.m.
- Thursdays: 4 p.m. -7 p.m.