- The Rinker Institute had its AACSB accounting accreditation reaffirmed in 2016. The Institute performed a self-study in 2014-2015 in advance of a continuous improvement review in January 2016. The Institute is one of only 183 accounting programs worldwide to hold AACSB accounting accreditation.
- Dr. Jud Stryker, D.B.A., Eugene M. Lynn Professor of Business Administration, was awarded the 2015 Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountant’s Outstanding Educator Award. Stryker is our third recipient, following Professor Joseph J. Master and Dr. Vince Brenner as past recipients. He has announced plans to retire from Stetson in December 2016.
- Per the N.A.S.B.A. 2012 Uniform CPA Examination Candidate Performance book, the achievement of our students/recent graduates on the CPA examination is as follows:
- The overall pass rate for all Stetson University-educated test takers was 75 percent (the world-wide average was 48.9 percent). This was the second highest pass rate in the state of Florida (out of 26 universities).
- The overall pass rate for Stetson University-educated test takers with a bachelor's degree was 84.6 percent (the highest pass rate in the State of Florida).
- The overall pass rate for Stetson University-educated first time test takers with a bachelor's degree was 75.1 percent (the highest pass rate in the State of Florida).
From 2007-2013, the pass rate for our graduates on the Uniform CPA Exam was 65% (69% for first-time test-takers) - significantly higher than the world-wide average pass rate of 48%. In 2009, 2010, and 2012, the pass rate for both all test-takers and first-time test takers with a Stetson bachelor’s degree was highest in the state of Florida.
- Randy Kuhn, Ph.D., CPA, joins the faculty as an assistant professor of accounting in Fall 2016. Kuhn earned his Ph.D. from the University of Central Florida and previously served on the faculty at the University of Lousiville, the University of South Florida and Rollins College. His areas of expertise are auditing, accounting information systems and financial accounting.
- Vince Brenner, Ph.D., David M. Beights Professor of Accounting, retired in May 2016 but will return as a Senior Active professor in Spring 2017.
- Jerica Trotter received the Federation of Schools of Accountancy's Master of Accountancy Student of the Year award for Stetson University.
- Kevin Holbert received the Business School Foundation Graduate Business Student Award.
- Accounting seniors Linh Pham and Raisa Santiesteban received the Stetson Business School Foundation, Inc.’s David M. Beights Merit Award for Accounting - an award given to the most outstanding accounting senior.
- Accounting senior Yulia Denisyuk received the Business School Foundation Paul E. Dascher Outstanding Scholar Award. The award is named for Dean Emeritus (and former accounting faculty member) Paul Dascher.
- The following students were awarded a Master Life Challenger Scholarship for 2016-2017: Yulia Denisyuk, Jackie Drummond, Bethany Peacock, Linh Pham, Kari Pritchard, Bernadette Salzano and Matt Thompson.
- Kristen Lind and Salman Mujtaba both received the George Putnam Accounting Scholarship, while Alex Overdijking received the Business School Foundation George Putnam Memorial Accounting Scholarship.
- Katherine Roeder received the Business School Foundation Accounting Merit Scholarship.
- Matt Buckle received the J. Stephen and Marybeth Pullum Scholarship.
- Scott Niederwemmer received the J.D. Bond and Charles E. Bradley Scholarship.