Practicum and Internship
Hatters Behavioral Health Coalition Grant Program
Students interested in counseling underserved populations at a site that combines behavioral and medical health in an interdisciplinary approach to client care will qualify to apply for the Hatters Behavioral Health Coalition (HBHC) grant program. To apply, please review the participating grant Practicum and Internship site list and fill out the initial application. The initial application can be completed once a student has been accepted into the Counselor Education program and developed a Planned Program with their advisor. The next step in the application process will be to create an updated professional resume and participate in a committee interview. Students accepted as grant-funded interns at participating sites will be required to attend a pre-practicum workshop series focused on learning culturally competent counseling practices and interventions for working with underserved populations in an interdisciplinary health care setting. To assist with living expenses during the twelve months of Practicum and Internship, grant program interns will receive a $10,000 federal stipend. For more information regarding the HBHC grant program, please view this informational video.
The Department of Counselor Education has approved the following sites at which students may complete their practicum and internships. Our department works hard to provide our student population with a comprehensive list of sites which vary in location and specialization. Our sites look forward to sharing their knowledge and experience with our students while serving the community, one client experience at a time. All students should enter the Practicum experience with the attitude of professionalism, respect, and a desire to learn. We expect our students to represent the notable reputation Stetson University and the Department of Counselor Education has earned over the years. Please contact the clinical supervisor, Dr. Williams, to discuss sites not listed in the manual.
Apply for Practicum
- Practicum and Internship are a one-year commitment completed in the final year of your program.
- Begin preparing at least one year to nine months in advance of commencing Practicum.
- All Practicum Application materials are to be completed digitally, utilizing the Pre-Practicum Resource Guide and Check-List, included below.
- Pre-Practicum Resource Guide and Check-List
- Tip: When interviewing, remember to dress professionally and treat each interview as if you would a professional job placement position.
Deadlines for Practicum Application
- Spring Entry: September 15
- Summer Entry: February 15
- Fall Entry: April 15
General Clinical and Course Requirements
- CMHC and MCFC majors:
- 800 total hours with a minimum of 300 direct client contact hours. The balance of the hours are indirect and include supervision and various other activities.
- Practicum requires 10-15 hours per week; 200 total hours (minimum 40 direct hours)
- Internship I requires 20-25 hours per week; 300 total hours (minimum 130 direct hours)
- Internship II requires 20-25 hours per week; 300 total hours (minimum 130 direct hours)
- Advanced Study MCFC: of the 300 direct client contact hours, a minimum of 200 direct hours must be relevant clinical relational work (e.g., couple family therapy) over the entirety of the clinical experience.
- Advanced Study Dual Majors require one additional internship:
- 1400 total hours with a minimum of 520 direct client contact hours. The balance of the hours are indirect and include supervision and various other activities.
- Practicum requires 10-15 hours per week; 200 toal hours (minimum 40 direct hours)
- Internship in CMHC requires 20-25 hours per week; 400 total hours (minimum 160 direct hours)
- Internship in MCFC requires 20-25 hours per week; 400 total hours (minimum 160 direct hours)
- Internship in CMHC/MCFC (COUN 520) requires 20-25 hours per week; 400 total hours (minimum 160 direct hours)
- Advance Study Dual Majors: of the 520 direct client contact hours, a minimum of 200 direct hours must be relevant clinical relational work (e.g., couple, family therapy) over the entirety of the clinical experience.
- Most sites will require some form of a background check that must be completed before final acceptance.
- You are responsible for any costs related to a background check.
- Stetson does not provide background checks for practicum or internship students.
- Level I background check: FDLE Criminal History Information
- Locations for Level II background checks
- DeLand Police Department
- Sheriff's Department (Daytona Beach)
- Local police department where the student resides