Center for Community Engagement
The Center for Community Engagement’s mission is to create opportunities for student learning through community impact – utilizing internships, research and projects that align students’ academic and career goals with the goals of our community partners. The CCE’s flagship program, the Bonner Program, connects 70 students with paid non-profit internships of increasing responsibility over their entire four years of enrollment, and couples that with paid summer internships, weekly training, shared housing and coursework, and generous financial aid. The CCE works closely with the Hal S. Marchman Chair of Civic & Social Responsibility to manage the Certificate of Community Engagement academic minor, the University’s non-profit community partnerships, the Sarah George Trust, student and faculty trainings, and community-based research efforts. Other programs supported by the CCE include student non-profit internships, Stetson Votes voter registration and engagement efforts, and the AmeriCorps VISTA program.
"Student learning through community impact"
The Center for Community Engagement (CCE) plays the lead institutional role in directing a nationally recognized campus-wide community engagement program that is delivered through both curricular and co-curricular avenues.
We serve as the central connecting, training, organizing, and educating unit for community-engaged students, faculty and partners
We build reciprocal relationships with community partner organizations that leverage institutional and community resources to solve pressing challenges in our community through capacity-building efforts
We prepare students to lead lives of significance by aligning their academic and career interests with community needs
We instill the value of informed and engaged citizenship that prepares our students to be lifelong agents of social change in their local and global communities
We recognize that our mission cannot be realized without an unapologetic and consistent focus on the principles of diversity, equity, inclusion and justice. To that end, our work is driven by practicing anti-racism.
The Center for Community Engagement is locally, regionally and nationally recognized for its excellence in community engagement:
- Florida Campus Compact Community Partnership of the Year with Neighborhood Center of West Volusia (2016)
- Feeding Children Everywhere Inaugural Collegiate Engagement Hunger Hero Award (2016)
- Carnegie Classification for Community Engagement (2015, 2008)
- President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll with Distinction (2015, 2014, 2013)
- Bonner Foundation High-Impact Initiative - (2011-2014)
- Florida Campus Compact Community Partnership of the Year with Volusia County Schools (2013)
- United Way Outstanding Overall Civic/Community Volunteer of the Year (2013)