Aerial Image of Athens

Frequently Asked Questions

How does Stetson University define an international student?

Any student who is not a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident of the United States is considered an international student. International students usually need an F1 or J1 visa to study in the United States.

Can I study part time?

No, international students cannot study part time. U.S. immigration law requires that all international students on F1 student visas maintain full-time enrollment. To be considered full-time, undergraduate students must be registered for a minimum of 12 credits. Graduate students must be registered for a minimum of nine credits to be considered full-time.

Are international students required to take the SAT or ACT?

No, international students are not required to take the SAT or ACT, but it is recommended, if available.

Is the TOEFL required for students who have earned a U.S. bachelor's degree or higher?

No, the university does not require the TOEFL for students who have earned a U.S. bachelor's degree or higher. However, some graduate programs require the TOEFL from all non-native speakers of English.

How long is a TOEFL/IELTS score valid?

The TOEFL/IELTS score is valid for two years.

Does Stetson University award credit for the International Baccalaureate (IB) program or Advanced Placement (AP) exams?

Yes, the university awards credit for IB and AP exams. More information is available on the Office of the Registrar's website.

How can I find information about programs offered at Stetson University?

More information about academic programs and majors is available as follows:

Can international students apply for a second undergraduate degree?

Yes, international students can apply for a second undergraduate degree. Students who have already completed an undergraduate degree can apply as post-baccalaureate non-graduate students.

I have sent my application for admission to Stetson University. What happens next?

Once we receive your application materials, we will send you a letter to confirm the receipt of your application. If admitted, a Notice of Admission and a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 Form) will be mailed to you.

What services does the U.S. government offer to international students?

Check with the Bureau of Education and Cultural Affairs for services available for international students.

Can international students work on campus?

Yes, on-campus employment is the only legal employment for international students.

What should I do to get a student visa?

Most international students attending Stetson University hold student (F1) visas. After you are admitted to Stetson University you will receive a Notification of Admission and a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 Form). In order to obtain a student visa, present the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 Form) to a United States embassy or consulate. The U.S. Department of State offers more information about obtaining a student visa. If you are attending a college or university in the United States, you must obtain a new Form I-20 from Stetson University. Be sure to complete the International Student Transfer Form from WORLD: The David and Leighan Rinker Center for International Learning. Your SEVIS record must be released from your former school to Stetson University. If you have specific questions about student visas, you can contact WORLD: The David and Leighan Rinker Center for International Learning at 386-822-8165.

Do I need to submit an immunization record?

Yes, all students must submit an immunization record. Stetson University requires proof of measles (Rubeola) and mumps immunity of all entering international students. Information about the required immunizations is available from Stetson University's Stetson Health Service.

Do I need health insurance?

Yes, all international students are required to have health insurance. You can either bring incoming insurance or register for Stetson University's student insurance plan.

Do I have to attend the International Student Orientation?

Yes. The International Student Orientation helps students with their transition to Stetson University. All newly admitted international students are required to attend at the beginning of each academic term.

How can I find out more about DeLand?

Information about the City of DeLand and the surrounding area is available on the Life in DeLand page.