Frequently Asked Questions from Parents

Here are some frequently asked questions from parents.

FOCUS is a multi-day, comprehensive program designed to help new students successfully transition to life at Stetson University. Two upperclassman students serve as mentors to a "FOCUS Group," and will periodically gather the group throughout the first year. During FOCUS, new students will take care of needs such as:

  • Meeting with their academic advisor
  • Getting their student ID and parking decal
  • Setting up access to email and the Internet
  • Buying textbooks for class

FOCUS Orientation is an extremely beneficial and fun time for all students, and helps to assuage nervousness that some students experience.

There are many local hotels that are happy to accommodate Hatter families!

Parking Decals

Students can obtain parking decals from the Office of Public Safety, located on Amelia Avenue. Public Safety can be reached at 386-822-7300.

Access to Email

Students receive an email address and information on how to access the Internet access at the Office of Information Technology's help desk, which is located on the ground floor of the Lynn Business Center. The help desk can be reached at 386-822-7217.


Students receive their Hatter1card from the Hatter Card office, located in Univeristy Hall at 644 N. Woodland Blvd. The Hatter Card office can be reached at 386-822-8780. The Hatter1card serves as a photo ID and campus library card, grants access to residence halls, and allows access to meal plans and HatterBucks. See the Hatter1card website for more details.

Living in the residence halls is a wonderful experience for many reasons:

  • Exposure to a variety of people that students may never have had the opportunity to meet before
  • A chance to learn outside of the classroom
  • No day is exactly the same in the residence halls because there's always something new going on!
  • The opportunity to get involved with the entire campus community, thus enhancing their overall collegiate experience
  • Preparing the student for life in the "real world"

The Office of Residential Living and Learning is committed to providing a healthy, inclusive and safe environment that supports the growth and development of all students. The staff in the residence halls works at developing communities that promote learning, developing personal accountability and becoming responsible members of the campus community.

If your student is sick, they should go to Stetson Health Service, our on-campus health clinic. A physician assistant/registered dietitian, two registered nurses and an administrative assistant are on staff. An appointment is recommended if a student wishes to see the physician assistant.  Monday through Friday. In case of an emergency, please call Public Safety at 386-822-7300, or emergency services at 911.

Public Safety can be reached at 386-822-7300. They are available 24/7, 365 days a year.

Stetson University offers a counseling center, the Hollis Center gym and pool and a comprehensive Wellness and Recreation program. The University Chaplain and staff or Religious and SPiritual Life ensure the university community's spiritual needs are met. All wellness services are free of charge.

At the midpoint of the semester, reports are sent to students whose grades are currently below the C-level in any of their classes. These reports can be viewed on My Stetson, an online student information system. In order to log in, you'll need your student's ID and password.

Grades are distributed via My Stetson. This allows students to access their grades from any computer connected to the Internet. Grades are not mailed home.

Academic Warning

Any student whose cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 at the end of a grading period will be given an academic warning. This warning will be in effect until a cumulative GPA of 2.0 is regained.

Academic Suspension

A student already on academic warning will be automatically suspended from the university for a period of seven months if their cumulative GPA at the end of any grading period falls below the minimum acceptable GPA for their number of earned credits (see the list below).

Minimum Acceptable GPA

The following is a list of minimum GPA's ordered by earned credit hours:

  • 1-26 hours: 1.5
  • 27-60 hours: 1.6
  • 61-90 hours: 1.7
  • Greater than 91 hours: 1.8

Students failing all coursework during their first semester at the university will be automatically suspended.

More Information

More information on academic warnings and academic suspensions can be found in the University Catalog.

See the Office of the Registrar's class registration page, which covers registering for classes and provides tips and tricks to make registration easier.

Your student can email the professor of the course and request an override into the class. If this isn't an option, they can ask to be placed on the wait list. We recommend that your student have a back-up schedule in case they aren't able to get their first choice of classes.

Students wishing to change majors should go to their academic dean's office. The exact procedure will be explained to them once they arrive.

Students seeking to withdraw from the university should refer to the Withdrawals webpage. The Office of the Bursar can answer questions about tuition reimbursement.

They should visit Stetson One Stop in the Rinker Welcome Center and speak to a counselor from the Office of Student Financial Aid about the situation. There may be something that can be done once the situation has been explained and by evaluating projected income for the coming year. Contact the Office of Student Financial Aid at [email protected] or 800-688-7120 for more information.

In Class

The student can schedule an appointment with the professor to discuss their options. Most areas of study have tutoring clinics, and many professors are able to spend time with a student in need of extra help outside of class time. The university's Academic Success Center offers help in many areas, including studying techniques and time management skills.

In their Residence Hall

The student can speak with their resident assistant or with the Office of Residential Living and Learning at [email protected] or 386-822-7201.