Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions

Find answers to the most frequently asked questions about Student Financial Aid at Stetson University.

Do I have to submit a FAFSA every year?

Yes, a FAFSA does need to be completed every academic year to apply for federal aid. The application opens on October 1st annually. There is no charge to submit the FAFSA. 

What are the types of aid I can receive from FAFSA?

Through the FAFSA, students may be eligible for various types of aid. Loans consist of money that the student borrows to help pay for college, which must be paid back (plus interest). Grants and scholarships are considered “free money” as they do not have to be paid back. These are awarded on the basis of need. Awards are determined by the college's financial aid office.

What do I do if there is a change in circumstances since I filed my FAFSA?

You can file a “Request for Review” with the Office of Student Financial Aid, which reviews your specific circumstances. From there it will be determined if updates can be made to your financial aid package.

What is a federal work study?

Work Study is an opportunity for you to earn money for other/personal expenses and gain professional experience through an on-campus job! Earnings are not added to your account as they are paid directly to you on a bi-weekly basis. Students are responsible for finding a job on campus and you can still apply for jobs if you are not receiving federal work-study. Visit HatterJobs for an online database of on-campus job opportunities.

What is the CSS Profile?

The CSS Profile is an application through the College Board.The CSS Profile is only required for international students who want to be considered for the premier scholarship programs at Stetson, such as the Bonner Scholars program. International students enrolled at Stetson University and participating in the Bonner Service program are required to submit the CSS Profile each award year. There is a processing fee associated with the CSS Profile due when submitting the application

Stetson University's CSS profile code is 5630.

What is the difference between subsidized and unsubsidized loans?

With a subsidized loan, the borrower is not responsible for the interest on the loan while in school, grace period or in deferment status. An unsubsidized loan in one in which the borrower is responsible for interest regardless of the loan status.

Where can I look into getting a private loan?

One of the most commonly used sites for students is ELMSelect. This site provides a list of private lenders most commonly used by Stetson student and can help match you to a private loan that will best meet your needs.

Does Stetson offer scholarships?

We offer a variety of scholarships including merit-based, talent, service, transfer scholarships, and Bright Futures. To learn more about scholarship opportunities please visit our Scholarships page.

Are there any outside scholarship opportunities?

We advise students to apply for outside scholarships through FastWeb.

We also encourage students to find out about the availability of other scholarships from community organizations, churches, parent employers and high school guidance counselors.

How do I pay my bill?

Stetson accepts online payments through credit cards and e-check, as well as checks through the mail, and cash or check in person. Visit the Bursar's website for information about payment methods.

Does Stetson offer monthly payment plans?

Yes, Stetson offers five payment plans. Payment plans are calculated by semester, including the plan set up fee. You will need to sign up for a payment plan each semester online. To sign up online, please visit this link

When does my aid disburse to my account?

Financial aid funds will disburse directly following the add/drop period of the fall and spring semesters. One-half of the total award will be disbursed equally each semester. Student loans will have been reduced by the amount of the federally required origination fee. Loans may not disburse if there are required documents missing, such as an MPN.

I have a credit on my account. How do I receive a refund?

A credit on your account means you have financial aid (typically derived from loans) that is more than the university bill. Students have the option to have this credit refunded to them or to leave it on their account for the next semester, or refund at the end of the academic year. In order to have the credit sent to you, students should answer “No, I do not authorize” on Step 2 - Resources/Additional Information when accepting their award offer. Selecting “Yes, I do authorize” allows Stetson to hold the credit on the account and apply it towards next term charges. Credits from the Parent PLUS loans are refunded to the parent unless otherwise specified.

Can I request an early refund?

Yes, students with finalized* financial aid exceeding the current charges on their account may request an early refund for a maximum of $600. A $5 processing fee will be charged to the student account by the Bursar's Office for such requests. Early refunds may be issued up to 10 days prior to the class start date in the traditional terms, which are listed in the university catalog. Plan accordingly to cover expenses until refunds for the upcoming semester are processed. The regular refund process begins immediately following the add/drop date in the traditional term. Early refund request must be made in writing and sent via email to [email protected].

*Finalized financial aid means students have fully completed their financial aid requirements (MPN, loan counseling, etc.). Students are able to see their missing requirements on their One Stop Checklist in MyStetson.

How can I use my financial aid to buy my books?

Students with finalized* financial aid exceeding the current charges on their account may go to the bookstore and request a book voucher. A book voucher will allow you to use the credit on your account to purchase books at the bookstore. If a purchase is made that exceeds the credit on the account or without credit on the account, you will be charged the amount of the purchase through your student account, creating an additional charge. It is up to you to know if you have a credit on your account until the end of the add/drop period. Book vouchers are automatically applied through the add/drop date. After the add/drop period, you must request a book voucher from the Office of Student Financial Aid.

*Finalized financial aid means students have fully completed their financial aid requirements (MPN, loan counseling, etc.). Students are able to see their missing requirements on their One Stop Checklist in MyStetson.

What is Verification and do I need to complete it?

Federal Verification is a process mandated by the U.S. Department of Education to ensure the accuracy of data submitted on the FAFSA. Approximately 30% of FAFSA applicants are randomly selected for verification. If you are selected, you will receive an email from our office and it will also be listed as a requirement on your MyStetson One Stop checklist and Financial Aid Student Requirements list. For more information, visit our verification website.

Is there a deadline to submit my Financial Aid Requirements?

Yes, it's important that you submit all financial aid requirements by September 18th in order to secure your financial aid. While your aid may appear as a credit on your bill, it will not be finalized until you fulfill the requirements. Students will receive monthly emails about missing requirements, but can also view them on the One Stop Checklist in your MyStetson portal. Common missing requirements can include loan agreements (MPN), entrance counseling, verification, EASE documents or Terms and Conditions.