About the Museum
An Earth Science Museum in a Natural Setting
Founded in 1958, the Gillespie Museum has been a center for earth and environmental science education on campus and in the community for six decades. It houses an historic mineral collection, with nearly a thousand of its 15,000 specimens on display in changing exhibits. There are also small galleries devoted to natural history collecting, Florida ecosystems, fluorescent minerals, volcanism and the rock cycle.
The grounds of the museum and of the adjacent Rinker Environmental Learning Center provide outdoor classrooms, including a well-established Native Florida Plant Landscape, the Hatter Harvest Garden, Stetson Beekeeping, and the Volusia Sandhill Ecosystem, Teaching Landscape (an urban restoration in progress).
Stetson faculty and undergraduates contribute to museum programming (as student staff, through class projects, during outreach programming and in place-based research). The museum has active memberships in the Association of Science and Technology Centers and partnerships with Florida Native Plant Society, Florida Wildflower Foundation, Florida Geographic Alliance, and is a Volusia County ECHO site.
Special events in June.
Closed to visitors in July.
Staff may be reached by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone, 386.822.7330.
- No admissions fee. Donations support educational programming.
Educational Programs (Classes K-12, scouts, home school groups, etc.)
- Students: $2.50
- Teachers/Chaperones: No charge
The Gillespie Museum and the Rinker Environmental Learning Center are located at the southeast corner of Stetson University's DeLand Campus, at the intersection of Amelia and East Michigan Avenues. To find the most current directions to the Gillespie Museum, refer to this Google Maps link, and use our location as your destination.