Rights and Responsibilities
Your Rights and Responsibilities
- Equal access to all educational opportunities available to the student body (e.g. courses, programs, activities, services, jobs and facilities).
- Reasonable accommodations based on documentation, barriers, academic program and evaluator's recommendations.
- Appropriate confidentiality regarding your disability.
- Meet the university's qualifications and maintain the essential standards for programs, courses, services and activities.
- Disclose information related to your disability to the Accessibility Services Center in a timely manner for the purpose of accommodations, preferably before the start of each semester or within two weeks of the start of each semester.
- Provide appropriate documentation to Accessibility Services. (The documentation must verify the disability and its current impact on learning).
- Follow specific policies and procedures for obtaining reasonable and appropriate accommodations, academic adjustments and/or auxiliary aids as established by Accessibility Services. (Failure to provide adequate notice of the need for separate testing conditions and/or assistance, for example, may result in accommodations that are not provided to the fullest measure).
- Initiate all services and maintain contact with Accessibility Services staff and university faculty.
- Provide feedback to Accessibility Services regarding its operation.
Stetson University's Rights and Responsibilities
Stetson University's Rights
- Uphold the university's academic standards.
- Identify and establish appropriate and reasonable accommodations based upon current disability documentation completed by a qualified professional and in consultation with the student.
- Deny a request for accommodations, auxiliary aids/services and/or academic adjustments if:
- a. The student fails to provide appropriate documentation
- b. The documentation does not warrant the services requested
- c. It substantially alters an essential element of a course, program or activity of the university, or
- d. It poses a threat to the health and safety of others.
- Receive verification of a documented disability from Accessibility Services that states the recommended accommodations, not necessarily the specific disability.
- Establish the learning outcomes that are fundamental to their courses/academic programs and evaluate students on this basis.
- Contact Accessibility Services to discuss the appropriateness of accommodations.
Stetson University's Responsibilities
- Recommend reasonable accommodations for students with appropriately documented disabilities in a timely manner upon request.
- Maintain appropriate confidentiality of records and communication concerning students.
- Provide information on university policies and procedures to students and ensure its availability in accessible formats upon request.
- Make appropriate referrals to on-campus services, as well as community agencies.
- Maintain the same standards for students with disabilities as for students without disabilities.
- Arrange for and provide reasonable accommodations upon request.