Accessibility Frequently Asked Questions

Here are answers to some frequently asked questions.

Stetson University does not have a separate admissions process for students with disabilities. All applicants must meet the admissions criteria as outlined in the University Catalog. Once admitted, students should contact the Accessibility Services Center (ASC) to request academic accommodations.

No. It is not required that you disclose your private medical information to the university. If students register with the Accessibility Services Center for academic accommodations, supporting documentation will be requested to ensure appropriate accommodations are put in place. The Accessibility Services Center will not disclose information about the student's disability or accommodations to other offices on campus without the student's permission. Whether or not a student is registered for accommodations may be disclosed to school officials with legitimate educational interests, but details of specific accommodations and/or private medical information will not be disclosed.

Yes. The Accessibility Services Center (ASC) recommends reasonable accommodations in accordance with Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504) and Stetson University's academic standards to ensure equal access to the educational experience at Stetson. The ASC also works with Residential Living and Learning and Dining Services to meet specific housing needs and/or dietary restrictions.

No. Neither the accommodations that a student has with the University nor the student's disability are recorded in the student's transcript. The Accessibility Services Center can release a student's accommodation information to other institutions or individuals upon request.

Yes and no. The Accessibility Services Center accepts an IEP or 504 plan as a form of documentation during the registration process. However, some accommodations that students receive in high school do not translate the same way at the college level. This is often because colleges and universities provide resources to all students that do not require accommodations to access. In these instances, the staff at the Accessibility Services Center will assist students in navigating these supplemental resources.

Yes. It is not a requirement that students had accommodations in high school. The Accessibility Services Center does require that students have appropriate documentation of the student's disability that speaks to the accommodations being requested. The Accessibility Services Center can assist students in finding possible community providers for evaluation if necessary. The student will want to check with their personal insurance carrier to determine preferred providers. Any expenses incurred from the evaluation are the student's responsibility.

Stetson University does not provide evaluations for learning disabilities or other conditions which may result in the need for academic accommodations. However, we do have a list of providers in the community who students can contact to be evaluated. Any expenses incurred from an evaluation are the student's responsibility.

It is important for students to actively participate in their education, especially vocalizing their classroom needs to their professors. There are some cases where it may not be necessary to register for accommodations through the Accessibility Services Center if the professor is simply made aware. For example, if a student requests that the professor change marker colors when writing on the board, the student having a conversation with the professor can make this change much faster for the student's benefit instead of going through a formal accommodations registration process which may take several days. For accommodations that would be require an adjustment to classroom accessibility, it is important to register so that the Accessibility Services Center can assist with supporting both the student and professor.

For students who are registered with the Accessibility Services Center, the office will notify professors of a student's accommodations each semester. Students are still encouraged to speak with their professors and take an active role in their education and accommodations. Hearing directly from the student can help the professor understand the barriers and improve the classroom experience beyond the stated accommodations. The Accessibility Services Center is always more than happy to help students who are unsure how to navigate conversations with their professors and can either coach the student in preparing to speak with their professor or be a third-party in the conversation based on the student's need.

The Accessibility Services Center is located at 209 Bert Fish Drive on campus (we're a one-story house across from the gazebo near the sorority houses). We can also be contacted via phone at 386-822-7127 or [email protected].