ADA Grievance Procedure

Stetson University values an environment free of discrimination and harassment, and therefore prohibits conduct that prevents open academic interaction and opportunity, or that creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive study, residential or work environment. In conjunction with this philosophy, Stetson University complies with Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504) and the university's own academic standards to ensure that there will be no discrimination on the basis of disability. Due to these laws and university values, no qualified individual with a disability shall be denied access to or participation in services, programs and activities offered at Stetson University.

The university will make a good faith effort to seek resolution of a problem informally brought to its attention through discussion and communication with the department or unit(s) involved and with appropriate university officials. The university encourages all faculty, staff and students to attempt an informal resolution prior to initiating the formal grievance procedure.

Students with disabilities who believe that they have been denied "reasonable accommodations" for their documented disability, been excluded from participation in or been denied the benefits of any aspect of the Stetson University student experience, or otherwise have been subjected to discrimination on the basis of their disability should follow the subsequent steps:

  1. The student should schedule a meeting with the ADA/504 compliance coordinator for students/Interim Executive Director of Career and Academic Success, Stacy Collins. She may be contacted at (386) 822-7345 or [email protected]. Individuals can also report an accessibility concern, which can be done anonymously if the reporting party does not wish to be identified. 
  2. The Associate Director of Academic Success will investigate the complaint, which includes but is not limited to personal interviews with all affected parties, and attempt a resolution with the participants involved.
  3. If the student is not satisfied with the outcome of the process, he or she may file a formal grievance within fifteen (15) days after the conclusion of the attempt to informally resolve the differences; more information about the formal grievance process can be found here Formal grievances should be sent to the University Grievance Officer Dr. Jim Beasley at [email protected].