Writing Program At Stetson
What's Going On Now
Call for Faculty Needing Writing Fellows
We seek faculty members who would like to work with a Writing Fellow.
The first year of the Writing Fellows program was successful in assisting professors and students with writing-enhanced courses. Any instructor in a WE course is welcome to apply; JSEM faculty will be given priority, since our JSEMs are interdisciplinary, writing-enhanced courses. We believe our fellows will be particularly helpful in JSEMs as students practice and develop the critical skills—writing, reading, thinking—that they need to be successful in their JSEMS and as they contemplate their senior projects. Fellows are undergraduate students who successfully complete a four-credit advanced composition and writing center pedagogy course and who demonstrate exceptional promise as course-embedded peer writing tutors. Fellows typically work five hours per week and agree, with the professor, to a contract that specifies duties.
You are eligible for a Writing Fellow if you:
- Are willing to require that all enrolled students work with the assigned fellow at least once throughout the semester
- Are willing to communicate regularly with the assigned fellow to discuss assignments, due dates, etc.
Writing Fellows can support faculty in the following academic activities (and more!):
- Meeting with students one-on-one outside of the classroom
- Providing written comments on drafts prior to paper submission
- Assisting with in-class peer review/writing workshop sessions
- Teaching mini-lessons on writing topics in class
What are the benefits?
First, embedding a writing fellow within a course ensures that students regularly receive feedback on their writing. Second, communication between an instructor and writing fellow promotes greater consistency and clarity in the feedback given to the students' writing. Finally, fellows are able to establish a relationship with students in the course and become familiar with them as writers, making for more productive conferences.
Learn more about applying for a Fall 2017 writing fellow today!
Applications accepted until August 1, 2017.
Direct any questions to Leigh Ann Dunning, Director of the Writing Center, at firstname.lastname@example.org