July 10-15, 2017
The Stetson University Flute Workshop will be offered this summer on the beautiful campus of Stetson University in DeLand, Florida. The six-day event is open to all flutists entering 7th grade through 12th grade and will focus on the fundamental principles of flute performance. The workshop will encompass experiences performing in a large ensemble and a chamber ensemble, participating in master classes and performance classes, as well as enjoying faculty and student recitals. All participants will play in a flute choir and a chamber ensemble and are eligible to audition to perform a solo on the Young Artist’s Recital. The final concert includes performances by the large flute choirs and a mass flute choir made up of all the students and workshop faculty.
- Tammy Phillips, Instructor of Flute, Stetson University
- Carlos Velez, Technology, Stetson University
- Beth Larsen, Flute, Naples Philharmonic
- Bill Larsen, Flute, Southwest Florida Symphony
- Angela McCuiston, Owner, Music Strong
Please prepare all of the excerpt(s) for the grade level you will be entering in Fall 2017. Please be prepared to play two to three major scales in addition to the excerpt(s).
Students will only be asked to play scales they already know, in as many octaves that are comfortable. The auditioner will choose the scales based on the student's level.
Students wishing to play piccolo must also play the excerpts on piccolo during the placement auditions.
Very advanced ninth graders may prepare the tenth to twelfth grade excerpts, if they choose.
Below, please find the audition excerpts and audio recordings of each excerpt:
- Seventh to Ninth Grade Audition Excerpt PDF
- Seventh to Ninth Grade Audition Exceprt Audio
- Tenth to Twelfth Grade Audition Excerpt PDF
- Tenth to Twelfth Grade Audition Excerpt #1 Audio
- Tenth to Twelfth Grade Audition Excerpt #2 Audio
Please see the below information to prepare for this year's workshop. Please be sure to bring the Informed Consent form completed to camp check-in.
On Campus tuition: $550
Commuter tuition: $450
Registration deadline: July 2nd
Participants will be housed in the Stetson University residence halls, eat in the student cafeteria and have access to all campus recreational facilities. Counselors will stay in the residence halls with the participants. Participants are supervised at all times.
If you have any questions please contact:
- Tammy Phillips, Workshop Coordinator
- (386) 822-8978
- Kirsten Shippert, Summer Music Camp Coordinator