Undergraduate Research - Chemistry and Biochemistry
Undergraduate research is an integral part of a student's experience in chemistry and biochemistry at Stetson University. Students have available to them a wide array of state-of-the-art chemical instrumentation, synthetic and computational laboratory facilities, and expert faculty to assist them with their research projects. Resources include a 400 MHz JEOL NMR spectrometer (purchased with funds from the National Science Foundation and the Rinker Foundation) and synthetic and computational lab facilities (also funded by the National Science Foundation).
For information on applying for undergraduate research funding, be sure to visit the SURE (Stetson Undergraduate Research Experience) program's website. For information regarding presenting your undergraduate research at the annual Stetson Showcase, you will want to check out that program's website.
Some undergraduate publications are shown below (Stetson University students are underlined):
- Jacob B. Geri and John T. York, "A Systematic Examination of Ligand Basicity Effects on Binding in Palladium(0)- and Palladium(II)-Ethylene Adducts." Inorganica Chimica Acta 2018, 483, 191.
- Christine Greene, Patrick K. Grudzien, and John T. York, "Binding and Electrophilic Activation of Ethylene by Zinc(II), Cadmium(II), and Mercury(II) Complexes: A Theoretical Investigation." Journal of Organometallic Chemistry 2017, 851, 122.
- Cassandra Diaz-Allen and Paul A. Sibbald, “Using 3D Printing to Model Steric Interactions” Chem. Educator 2016, 21, 10.
- Jennifer N. Hennigan and W. Tandy Grubbs, "The Periodic Pyramid," Journal of Chemical Education 2013, 90, 1003.
- Jacob B. Geri, Naomi C. Pernicone and John T. York, "Comparing the Impact of Different Supporting Ligands on Copper(I)-Ethylene Interactions." Polyhedron (Special 100th Anniversary of Alfred Werner Nobel Prize Edition), 2013, 52, 207.
- William R. Furlong, Miles A. Rubinski and Ramee Indralingam "The Method of Continuous Variation: A Laboratory Investigation of the Formula of a Precipitate" J. Chem. Educ. 2013, 90 (7), 937.
- Naomi C. Pernicone, Jacob. B. Geri and John. T. York, "Examining the Impact of Ancillary Ligand Basicity on Copper(I)-Ethylene Binding Interactions: A DFT Study." Theoretical Chemistry Accounts, 2012, 131, 1105.
- Naomi C. Pernicone, Jacob B. Geri and John T. York, "Using a Combination of Experimental and Computational Methods to Explore the Impact of Metal Identity and Ligand Field Strength on the Electronic Structure of Metal Ions". Journal of Chemical Education, 2011, 88, 1323.
- Ashley L. Morris and John T. York, "Quantifying the Electron Donating Strength of Phosphine Ligands". Journal of Chemical Education, 2009, 86, 1408-1411.
- Megan E. Lewis, Rebecca M. Levine, John T. York and W. Tandy Grubbs, "A Quick and Accurate Oxygen Based Pressure Sensor Assay for Measurement of Catalase Activity," Journal of Chemical Education, 2009, 86, 1227.
- William R. Furlong, Michael R. Quackenbush and Ramee Indralingam, "What is that Colorless Solution? A Qualitative Analysis Laboratory Experiment", Journal of Chemical education, 2009.
- Kevin M. Maloney, Emmanuel M. Quiazon and Ramee Indralingam, "Measurement of Iron in Egg Yolk: An Instrumental Analysis Experiment using Biochemical Principles", Journal of Chemical Education, 2008, 85, 399.
- Sarah E. Caudill and W. Tandy Grubbs, "Interferometric Measurements of Refractive Index Dispersion in Polymers over the Visible and Near-Infrared Spectral Range," Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2006, 100, 65.
- Namika Nakagawa, William R. Furlong and Ramee Indralingam, "A Low-Cost Pump Assembly for the Spectrophotometric Detection of the Color Change of an Indicator", Chemical Educator, 2004, 9, 102.