Assessment and Academic Program Review
Overview of Assessment
The assessment offers a systematic mechanism for organizations and their units to engage in reflective self-study, examine progress toward articulated goals, anticipate challenges, and demonstrate continuous improvement.
The purpose of assessment is to ensure alignment of unit goals with the university's Strategic Map priorities through an annual process which includes reviewing the unit mission statement, setting goals, and analyzing results to improve unit processes.
The concepts of assessment are central to Stetson's commitment to continuous improvement and to the accreditation process. The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges accreditation criteria encourages institutions to integrate assessment plans which align with the institutional mission, employ a variety of assessment methods, and provide evidence of data-driven improvement at the unit level as a result of the assessments.
Stetson's assessment process comprises two parts: the assessment plan and the assessment report. The plan requires units to indicate intended goals, targets, and assessment methods for the next year. The report, which is submitted after goals have been assessed, requires units to indicate the extent to which declared goals were met and to discuss changes made as a result of the findings.
Institutional Research and Effectiveness facilitates the collection of annual university-wide assessment data through the materials provided below.
Assessment Materials for Instructional Units
Instructional units are those whose primary responsibility is student instruction.
Instructional Assessment Reports and Assessment Plans are due to IR by Sept. 30, 2022.
- Guides and Calendar
- Program Level Assessment Overview
- Assessment Guide for Instructional Units
- Assessment Calendar (instructional units)
- Progress Reports
- 2020 Assessment of Instructional Units Annual Report (summary of yearly submission results)
- Assessment Report Form (online form submission)
- Assessment Report Word Template (provided to allow advance preparation of your report. Final reports must be submitted via the online form above.)
Assessment Materials for Non-Instructional Units
Non-instructional units include all areas whose primary responsibility is outside of student instruction.
Non-instructional Assessment Reports and Assessment Plans are due to IR by August 15, 2022.
- Guide and Calendar
- Assessment Guide for Non-Instructional Units
- Assessment Calendar (non-instructional units)
- Progress Reports
- 2020 Assessment of Non-Instructional Units Annual Report (summary of yearly submission results)
- Assessment Reporting Form (online form submission)
- Assessment Reporting Word Template (provided to allow the preparation of your submission in advance. Final report must be submitted via the online form above)
- Assessment Report & Plan Evaluation Rubric
- SACSCOC Resource Manual
- Stetson Strategic Plan
- Types and Levels of Educational Objectives (from UCF's Office of Operational Excellence and Assessment Support)
- Learning Outcome VALUE Rubrics (from AAC&U)
Academic Program Review
Academic Program Review at Stetson University is a dynamic, collaborative process designed to create healthy academic programs that are mission-driven, dedicated to continuous self-assessment, analysis, and engaged in strategic planning. Program review at Stetson places emphasis on (1) student learning and achievement; (2) teacher-scholar engagement and excellence; and (3) plans, efforts, and resources directed toward continuous development of the program's quality and reputation. These emphases ensure that the reviews relate to the attainment of the University's mission and that warranted recommendations for improvement are thoroughly considered and implemented.