ENGL 100: Transitions to College Reading and Writing
Official Course Description
Emphasizes strategies and practices for first-year students who need more support to succeed during their adjustment to Stetson University writing expectations. This 8-week course is an intensive workshop experience designed to help students build rhetorical range, reflective thinking, and confidence. 0.5 Units
Why Enroll in this Course?
If you are struggling with the writing assignments in your first-year seminar or other courses, ENGL 100: Transitions to College Reading and Writing is here to support your development as a reader and writer. Reading and writing are essential components of your Stetson education. Therefore, this course provides an opportunity for you to learn effective and efficient ways for you to accomplish your writing goals so that you can be successful in your college classes.
Benefits of the Course
- If completed with a C or better, this course can fulfill one of your four required writing-enhanced courses
- Develop critical reading skills by reading about writing and the writing process
- Practice reflective/meta-cognitive strategies and habits of mind that will enable you to
- succeed in future writing-enhanced courses in any discipline
- Experience responsive teaching based on your needs as a writer
- Receive oral and written feedback from your instructor and peer tutors from the Writing
- Build self-confidence in a small class setting
- Examine your own writing processes to help you incorporate new writing strategies
If I’m already struggling to keep up in FSEM, why should I take an additional course?
This course supports the writing that you are already doing in your other courses. In small groups and class workshops, you will have opportunities to reflect on your successes and challenges with writing in order to make effective revisions to your writing.
When can I register for the course?
You can register for the course up to the start date on Tuesday, October 17. Questions? Contact Dr. Leigh Ann Dunning, Director of the Writing Center, at [email protected]
Testimonials from past ENGL 100 students
“Genuinely, this class made me go from avoiding writing to enjoying it thoroughly.” –Brady ‘26
“ENGL 100 was the best choice for me. It helped better my writing skills and can prepare you for any other classes you may struggle with later.” –Najae ‘26
“This course helped sharpen my writing to write in the journalism world. Coming into Stetson, I was uncertain if I could write well enough. Now I feel ready to tackle any projects.” –Raphael ‘26