The Stetson University Writing Center offers free tutoring in writing to all Stetson University students, staff, and faculty. Our friendly, trained peer tutors help writers across campus with any type of written work, at any stage of the writing process.
Writing tutoring will be held both in person and virtually. To make an in-person appointment, choose "Writing Center" when booking appointments on Stetson SSC. To make a virtual appointment, choose "Online Writing Center" when booking appointments on Stetson SSC. This video explains how to meet your tutor online using Microsoft Teams.
The Writing Center offers class visits and 40-minute workshops on topics related to writing. If you are interested in scheduling a presentation for your class, please complete this Writing Center Presentation Request Form.
The workshops offered include:
- Introduction to the Writing Center
- Academic Integrity
- APA Style
- Chicago Style
- MLA Style
- Academic Writing
- Thesis Devlopment and Organization
- How to Write an Argumentative Essay
- Sentence Fragments and Punctuation
- Peer Review
- Professional Writing and Rhetoric
The following is a brief description that explains what students can expect when they visit the Writing Center. Instructors are encouraged to copy it into their syllabus for this semester.
Visit the Writing Center! Peer tutors can help at any point in your writing process, from brainstorming to revising. Although peer tutors are trained to identify and explain patterns of errors to students, tutors do not write, edit, or grade papers. The peer tutors at the Writing Center can be most helpful if you do the following:
- Formulate: come prepared to the session with specific writing issues to discuss
- Focus: be engaged in the session by playing an active role in discussing your paper with the tutor
- Follow through: take notes during the session and make changes afterward
If you have any questions about our services, or would like to request a class visit or workshop, please email us at [email protected].
- Online and In-Person Tutoring: Tutoring sessions will be offered in person or held online via Microsoft Teams for Spring 2022.
- The Writing Center is closed on all university holidays.
- Please note that because the Writing Center's physical space is considered a classroom, masks are required for in-person writing consultations to protect student workers. Students seeking writing tutoring may also schedule an online session via Microsoft Teams.
- If you were unable to attend the QEP/Writing Center Webinar: Writing in the Disciplines, it is available to watch here.
- We will be offering online tutoring hours from May 16 to July 15 on Sundays from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Students should schedule appointments via Stetson SSC. If students need to meet with a tutor outside of those hours, please email [email protected] and we will try to accommodate the best we can.
- Main Location: the first floor of the duPont-Ball Library
- Business Satellite: LBC Room 209
- Sage Satellite: Natural History Museum
Tutoring (Spring 2022)
- Monday to Thursday: noon to 10 p.m.
- Friday: noon to 3 p.m.
- Sunday: 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Location: Room 209
- Tuesday: 12 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Location: Natural History Museum
- Tuesday: 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Thursday: 12 p.m. to 2 p.m