- Bachelor of Science
With so many avenues in the medical field to explore, take the next step toward your distinctive career by joining our Health Sciences program. Here, you will study health specializations through hands-on laboratories and informative lectures.
In our health sciences program, you will explore the anatomy and physiology of the human body as well as medicine and disease prevention. With the integration of biology, chemistry, physics, physiology and nutrition, you will gain the knowledge and skills needed for a future career in healthcare.
You will take a distinctive approach to learning health science with a hands-on experience. Our courses include practical application of concepts through laboratory, clinical and field experiences for a unique style of learning.
Stetson University's Department of Health Sciences provides a rigorous curriculum grounded in the natural sciences with a focus on human health and disease and the psychological, social and physical aspects of wellness.
The mission of the Health Sciences program is to prepare students to become scientists and/or health practitioners who apply their knowledge of the scientific basis of disease and factors that contribute wellness to their professional work.
As a graduate of our program, you will be able to
- integrate knowledge of psychological, social, environmental, spiritual, and physical factors, explain their impact on health and wellness, and apply this knowledge to health promotion and/or disease prevention.
- use concepts of anatomy and physiology to explain the unity of form and function in the human body and apply this knowledge to disease prevention in humans.
- be able to explain macronutrients and metabolic processes used by the human body for energy production and apply this knowledge to disease prevention.
- design an appropriate research study using the scientific method.
- execute an appropriate scientific research study and write an effective scientific research paper according to the canons of the discipline.
- effectively present a scientific research study.
- explain disparities in health and health behaviors and apply this knowledge to health promotion and/or disease prevention.
- be accepted into highly ranked pre-professional and graduate programs.
Our experienced and successful faculty will help guide you through the journey of our Health Sciences program.
- Kristine Dye, PhD, University of Washington
- Heather Evans-Anderson, PhD, University of South Carolina School of Medicine
- Ronette Lategan-Potgieter, PhD, University of the Free State, South Africa
- Dejan Magoc, PhD, University of Texas at El Paso
- Matthew Schrager, PhD, University of Maryland, department chair
- Michele Skelton, PhD, Auburn University
Our program allows you as the student to choose a course plan to identify with a specific field for your future career in health science.
The following advising course plans are available for you as a Health Science major who wishes to pursue graduate and professional studies:
- Chiropractic Medicine
- Dental Medicine
- Kinesiology-Exercise Science
- Medicine (MD/DO)
- Occupational Therapy
- Physician Assistant
- Physical Therapy
- Veterinary Medicine
Learn more information about each course plan in our Stetson University Course Catalog.
Stetson University's Health Sciences program provides an excellent foundation for students planning to seek an advanced degree in one of the many health-related fields. As a stand-alone degree, health sciences also leads into multiple career paths, including clinical lab work and health administration. Demand remains high, and Florida ranks third in the nation in health-related job postings.
Source: Burning Glass Technologies 2019.
Use the Career Insight tool to see what opportunities look like for you.