LECOM Early Acceptance Program
Stetson University and the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) are partners in programs that offer qualified students early admission to their programs in osteopathic medicine (DO), dentistry, or pharmacy. These programs are available for prospective and current Stetson students who meet the criteria. Details of these programs are given below. Please contact the Chair of Stetson's Health Professions Advisory Committee with questions (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Mission of the Programs
The mission of the programs is to provide Stetson University undergraduate students interested in a career in medicine, dentistry, or pharmacy with a solid baccalaureate foundation, acceptance into a professional program, and a sound education with the appropriate technical and professional competencies for future practitioners of osteopathic medicine, dentistry, or pharmacy.
Applicants must be U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents. Applicants can be seniors in high school who are considering Stetson and LECOM or current Stetson freshmen or sophomores interested in osteopathic medicine, dentistry, or pharmacy. High school applicants must have an academic (AIS) ≥ 115 (see LECOM website to calculate your score). Current Stetson students can use an AIS score to qualify or earn a freshman cumulative GPA of at least 3.1 and a science GPA of at least 3.0 to enter phase I (undergraduate) of the program. To apply, applicants must submit an inquiry. Once the application is reviewed, an in-person interview with LECOM is required.
Requirements for the three professional programs are:
- to enter Phase II (at LECOM), a cumulative GPA ≥ 3.4 and a science GPA ≥ 3.2 are required
- if a student doesn’t have an AIS ≥ 115, an MCAT score ≥ 500 is required (no MCAT required if the AIS requirement is met!)
- also a grade of C or better must be achieved in BIOL 141 and 142, CHEM 141 and 142, PHYS 121 or 141, CHEM 201 and 301 (Orgo I and II), CHEM 204 (Biochem I), BIOL 302 (Genetics), PSYC 101, SOCI 101, and ‘English’ (includes FSEM, JSEM, other writing enhanced courses)
- complete LECOM online application by Nov. 1 of the year prior to matriculation (instead of AACOMAS application)
- to enter phase II (at LECOM), a cumulative GPA ≥ 3.4 and a science GPA ≥ 3.2, as well as a DAT with scores ≥ 18, are required
- also a grade of C or better must be achieved in BIOL 141 and 142, CHEM 141 and 142, CHEM 201 and 301 (Orgo I and II), and CHEM 204 (Biochem I)
- recommended courses include PHYS 121 or 141, BIOL 301 (Microbiology), BIOL 302 (Genetics), BIOL 320 (Cell Biology), BIOL 401 (Physiology), and PSYC 101
- complete AADSAS application
- to enter phase II (at LECOM), a cumulative GPA ≥ 3.4 and a science GPA ≥ 3.2 (no PCAT required)
- also a grade of C or better must be achieved in BIOL 141 and 142, CHEM 141 and 142, CHEM 201 and 301 (Orgo I and II), PHYS 121 or 141, 1 course in English, Calculus, Statistics, Economics and either Sociology or Psychology
- PharmCAS application is required