Health Professions Advisory Committee
The Health Professions Advisory Committee (HPAC) takes an active role in helping Stetson students prepare for a medical or health career. Members of the committee advise you in course selection, inform you about the many professional school and health career options available, assist in setting up internships, help you prepare for admissions tests and advise you on application procedures. HPAC maintains contact with the American Association of Medical Colleges, the National Association of Advisors for the Health Professions, and the many application services. HPAC has an advisory group, consisting of health professionals, to keep our students abreast of changes in health care training and work. The HPAC also maintains a library of various professional school catalogs and other books, videotapes and computer software useful to students interested in the health professions.
Perhaps the most important role of the HPAC is to prepare a letter of evaluation for you following your junior year. The HPAC collects recommendations from faculty members, physicians and peers, transcripts, an updated resume and a brief autobiographical sketch from each student and then meets with the students in a formal interview session. Using this information, along with personal knowledge of the student, the HPAC compiles a letter which paints a complete picture of you as a person and as a future health care provider.
- Michael S. King, Ph.D., Professor of Biology, Committee Chair
- Harry L. Price, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Chemistry
- Derek Barkalow, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Biology
- Laura Gunn, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Integrative Health Science
- Rick Medlin, Ph.D., Professor of Psychology
- Michele Skelton, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Integrative Health Science