- Service Learning requirement: two units
- Community Engagement Theory requirement: two units
- Volunteer Community Engagement: 100 hours
- A capstone essay integrating theory and practice
- A course may count toward either the Service Learning requirement or the Community Engagement Theory requirement, but may not fulfill both requirements at the same time. Students must take four different courses to complete the course requirement.
- An independent study course may fulfill a certificate course requirement as long as the faculty member supervising the course submits an application for the course to be approved as fulfilling either the Service Learning course requirement or the Community Engagement Theory requirement. The application must be submitted to and approved by the Service Learning Faculty Group.
- A student may fulfill certificate course requirements by taking a course that does not meet the Service Learning or Community Engagement Theory requirements by contracting with the course's instructor to add those missing elements to the course. Such a contract between the student and instructor must be approved by the Service Learning Faculty Group prior to completion of the course. Students are strongly encouraged to obtain approval before the course begins.
- A student who transfers to Stetson University at the level of junior or above may apply one completed course toward the Community Engagement Theory course requirement upon approval by the certificate program coordinator in consultation with the provost.
- Students must earn a minimum grade of C in all courses that are taken to fulfill certificate coursework.
- Community engagement work completed as part of the required service learning courses may not count toward the Volunteer Community Service requirement. Community work done for any additional service learning courses may count toward the Volunteer Community Service requirement. All community service work submitted to fulfill the Volunteer Community Service requirement must be done through community partners that are recognized by Stetson University and registered with the Center for Community Engagement.
- Capstone essays will be determined as either "satisfactory" or "unsatisfactory." Essays that are determined to be "unsatisfactory" may be resubmitted. Essays should demonstrate students' critical reflections on the certificate coursework and the community service completed.