Willa Dean Lowery Fund to Support Research in the Natural Sciences
The Willa Dean Lowery Fund supports faculty research in the natural sciences to advance the teacher-scholar role by encouraging proposals for innovation in scientific research. The fund is made possible through the continued generosity of longstanding Stetson patron Dr. Willa Dean Lowery '48. Through her support of the natural sciences, Stetson University has bestowed Lowery Grants for meritorious scientific research projects, several of which have garnered national recognition.
Call for Proposals
Proposals are invited for natural science projects that show promise and contribute to the faculty member’s development as a teacher-scholar. Funding is based on the quality of the proposal and the potential contribution to the tenured/tenure-track faculty member’s teacher-scholar agenda, to the culture of research we wish to establish for undergraduates, and to the College of Arts and Science’s wider recognition for excellence in science. Faculty may propose new projects, work that builds on or anticipates a sabbatical project, strengthens summer grant research, and more. Faculty on sabbatical may apply.
Willa Dean Lowery Grant Award Recipients
Meet Dr. Willa Dean Lowery
Dr. Willa Dean Lowery earned a Bachelor of Science degree in chemistry from Stetson University in 1948 and earned a Master of Science degree in bacteriology from the University of Florida in 1952. She worked as a bacteriologist with the Florida Department of Public Health in Jacksonville, FL then worked in Belem, Brazil for three years as a research bacteriologist for the US Government Operations Mission to Brazil. Dr. Lowery went on to earn a degree in medicine from the University of Miami in 1959 and served as a rotating intern at Miami’s Jackson Memorial Hospital. She continued her education at the University of Pittsburgh, where she received a Master’s degree in public health in 1962.
From 1960 to 1965, Dr. Lowery served as a public health officer with the Department of Health in Jacksonville, FL. In 1965, she relocated to Pittsburgh where she was a resident in obstetrics and gynecology at Magee Women’s Hospital. Soon after in 1968, she began teaching obstetrics-gynecology at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. From 1969 to 1988, Dr. Lowery engaged in private practice and retired from practicing medicine in 1988. Several years later, in 1994, Dr. Lowery received a Master of Divinity from the Pittsburgh Theological Seminary. In 2003, Stetson University honored Dr. Lowery with the Distinguished Alumni Award. She established the Willa Dean Lowery Endowed Scholarship at Stetson in 2004 for students majoring in the natural sciences and the Lowery Endowment for Faculty Research in the Natural Sciences at Stetson in 2013.