Exceptional Student Education
The focus of this degree is on providing educators with the tools to address the needs of students who have exceptionalities and are marginalized by society. We seek to prepare educators who will embrace all children and foster their growth both educationally and emotionally. Our program equips candidates to develop an action research project that stretches the individual both intellectually and pedagogically. Graduates of this program will be prepared to empower the exceptional student in the regular classroom or instruct a class of exclusively exceptional students.
Stetson University's master's of education in exceptional education degree will enhance your understanding of the unique challenges faced by students with special needs and prepare you to address your students’ academic and social/emotional needs. You will be prepared to take the certification examination as well as bolster your toolbox of pedagogical strategies.
Program of Study
- One-year, 30-credit program
- Summer and evening courses
- Built in breaks: Summer courses end in early July and Fall courses end in early December
- Students may transfer in up to 6 credits of coursework previously completed in any accredited masters program
Our leading faculty members of the Department of Education are highly regarded among the educational community.
Faculty are always willing to engage with prospective students who are interested in the program. You may request an appointment with a graduate faculty member and our Office of Graduate Admissions will help you confirm the appointment.
Earning a master’s degree can lead to additional compensation and increased employment opportunities. A master’s degree in Education will establish you as an expert teacher, which will impact the lives of the children you teach. The M.Ed. in Exceptional Student Education program at Stetson will support you to develop innovative teaching methods, as well as, prepare you to enter leadership positions in education. Whether you decide to stay in the classroom or move into a leadership role, you will be prepared to make the changes needed to close the growing opportunity gap. You will be
- meeting the needs of struggling students in your classroom.
- redesigning curriculum based on effective scientific pedagogy.
- enhancing your professional knowledge relating to research-based educational practices.
- developing your professional knowledge relating to exceptional student populations.
- creating a research-based academic focus.
- State and federal leadership officials
We offer personalized instruction with small class sizes and a cohort model. Pursuing this degree will enhance your ability to work with children who struggle in traditional classrooms. In addition to enhancing the education of marginalized students, this master’s program will open doors to opportunities such as qualifying you for district positions or supporting you in beginning your quest towards a doctoral degree in exceptional student education.
Use the Career Insight tool to see what opportunities look like for you.