Accessibility Resources - Register and Request through Accommodate Portal
In the higher education environment, students with disabilities have the option to self-identify and request ADA accommodations. While, in general, self-identifying and registering are not mandatory, students with disabilities must register with the ADA Coordinator before reasonable accommodations can and will be granted. ADA accommodations are not retroactive and will take effect on the date they are granted by the ADA Coordinator. ADA accommodations granted will be valid for the duration of a student's need for accommodations at the College of Law, unless a student is notified that the accommodations granted are of limited duration or do not apply to a particular course.
Students are encouraged to register early to have accommodations in place before they are needed. The ADA Coordinator will begin accepting and processing requests for accommodations at the conclusion of the previous semester's or summer sessions' final examination period. Please see the Academic Calendar for specific dates.
Students experiencing barriers due to temporarily disabling conditions will need to register at the time the need arises and accommodation will end once the condition has resolved. Updates and changes to accommodations can be made in light of changes in the impact a student's disability has on his or her educational pursuit. If updates or changes are needed, please contact the ADA Coordinator to set up an appointment to discuss; depending on the nature of the request, additional documentation may be requested to support the request.
A testing modification for foreign students is not considered a disability accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act in accordance with Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504, as amended). ESL testing modifications will be granted in accordance with Stetson Law's policy on Testing Modifications for Foreign Students. To submit your request, follow the checklist outlined below.
Checklist for First-Time Registration with the ADA Coordinator and First-Time Accommodation and/or Modification Requests through the Accommodate Portal
- A Guide to First-Time Requests through Accommodate (PowerPoint)
- Transcript for "A Guide to First-Time Requests through Accommodate" (WORD DOC)
Any student who wants to request an ADA Accommodation and/or an ESL Testing Modification should follow these steps:
- Review the academic calendar for submission deadlines and related policies. REMINDER: Delayed submission requests may further delay implementation of granted ADA Accommodations or ESL Testing Modifications.
- Gather relevant documentation and information according to the Documentation Guidelines. There will be an opportunity to upload your documentation in Step 3. Please keep in mind that copies of accommodations from previous schools, an Individualize Education Plan (IEP), or 504 Plan may not be sufficient documentation alone, but will be helpful as part of a more comprehensive report.
- Visit the Accommodate Public Registration Page to create your account and simultaneously submit your initial request for ADA Accommodations or ESL Testing Modifications.
- Recieve a confirmation of submission email, to ensure your submission has been recieved.
- Meet with the Accessibility Resources team to discuss your request and possible accommodations.
- Visit the Accommodate Student Portal for any changes or updates in your request during the semester.
- Communicate with and respond to the ADA Coordinator in a timely manner to avoid delays in granted accommodation implementation.
- Place a reminder in your calendar to visit the Accommodate Student Portal every semester to renew your request for ADA Accommodations or ESL Testing Modifications. See the checklist below.
Checklist for Renewing Accommodation and/or Modification Requests through the Accommodate Portal
- Every semester, log into your Accommodate Student Portal account using your Stetson credentials.
- On the left-hand navigation menu click the arrow next to Accommodations.
- Click on Semester Renewal. This will bring up the semester renewal submission form.
- Choose the Add New button to see the approved and renewable accommodations. Then choose the semester for which the request is being submitted and courses will populate on the right side.
- All previously approved requests will be listed on the page for student to review. This process must be complete each semester accommodation is needed.
- If you are not requesting any changes to any of your previously granted accommodations, please click "no" where indicated for EACH accommodation and/or modification, and submit your request.
- If you are requesting changes and/or additions to your previously granted accommodations and/or modifications, please select "yes" where indicated for EACH accommodation and/or modification, specify your updated/new request, and explain the reason updated/new request. Once completed, submit your request.
- Click Review the Renewal to check your request is complete. You have the option to change accommodation, add a new accommodation request or remove accommodation.
- Once you have completed the renewal form, select submit to send the form.
- Review confirmation of request email to confirm your request has been submitted and is able to be reviewed.
- The ADA Coordinator will process your request and/or reach out to you if additional information is needed.
- Accommodations are enacted following your official letter of accommodation each semester. If you do not recieve communication from Accessibility Resources or this letter within 2 weeks of recieving your semester renewal submission confirmation email, reach out to the [email protected] with your name and confirmation email.
- Place a reminder in your calendar to visit the Accommodate Student Portal every semester to renew your request for ADA Accommodations or ESL Testing Modifications.