Accessibility Resources - Register and Request through Accommodate Portal
In the higher education environment, students with disabilities have the option to self-identify and request ADA accommodations. While, in general, self-identifying and registering are not mandatory, students with disabilities must register with the ADA Coordinator before reasonable accommodations can and will be granted.
Except in special circumstances at the discretion of the ADA Coordinator, ADA accommodations will not be granted until a student with a disability has registered following the outlined steps. ADA accommodations are not retroactive and will take effect on the date they are granted by the ADA Coordinator. ADA accommodations granted will be valid for the duration of a student's need for accommodations at the College of Law, unless a student is notified that the accommodations granted are of limited duration or do not apply to a particular course.
Students are encouraged to register early to have accommodations in place before they are needed. Students experiencing barriers due to temporarily disabling conditions will need to register at the time the need arises and accommodation will end once the condition has resolved. Updates and changes to accommodations can be made in light of changes in the impact a student's disability has on his or her educational pursuit. If updates or changes are needed, please contact the ADA Coordinator to set up an appointment to discuss; depending on the nature of the request, additional documentation may be requested to support the request.
A testing modification for foreign students is not considered a disability accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act in accordance with Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504, as amended). ESL testing modifications will be granted in accordance with Stetson Law's policy on Testing Modifications for Foriegn Students. To submit your request, follow the checklist outlined below.
Checklist for Registering with the ADA Coordinator and Requesting Accommodations and/or Modifications through the Accommodate Portal
Any student who wants to request an ADA Accommodation and/or an ESL Testing Modification should follow these steps:
- Review the academic calendar for submission deadlines and related policies. REMINDER: Delayed submission requests may further delay implementation of granted ADA Accommodations or ESL Testing Modifications.
- Gather relevant documentation and information according to the Documentation Guidelines. There will be an opportunity to upload your documentation in Step 3. Please keep in mind that copies of accommodations from previous schools, an Individualize Education Plan (IEP), or 504 Plan may not be sufficient documentation alone, but will be helpful as part of a more comprehensive report.
- Visit the Accommodate Public Registration Page to create your account and simultaneously submit your initial request for ADA Accommodations or ESL Testing Modifications.
- Visit the Accommodate Student Portal for any changes or updates in your request during the semester.
- Communicate with and respond to the ADA Coordinator in a timely manner to avoid delays in granted accommodation implementation.
- Remember to visit the Accommodate Student Portal every semester to renew your request for ADA Accommodations or ESL Testing Modifications.