Resources on Leading Study Abroad Programs
Includes the steps and timeline for leading a faculty-led study abroad program.
View a presentation by WORLD explaining the process of planning and leading a study abroad program at Stetson, including topics such as program types, student considerations, working collaboratively with WORLD, benefits of working with a study abroad provider, and a walk-through the proposal process.
NAFSA, a highly respected professional organization, offers membership to faculty of study abroad and international student departments.
With a membership of over 1,100 institutions, the IIE seeks to promote the exchange of people and ideas between universities around the world.
With an exclusive focus on professionals, the AIEA offers development and information-sharing opportunities to administrators of international programs.
The EAIE is Europe's premier organization for promoting internationalization in higher education. The organization hosts conferences, distribute awards and performs a variety of other services geared toward networking and information sharing between professionals.
Serving the cause of global progress, FHI 360 advocates and uses multidisciplinary approaches to support global development. In education, their work has centered upon improving educational access for under-served groups and integrating technology into classrooms, while at the same time focusing on teacher development and student-centered learning.
The CIEE provides exchange opportunities to students and faculty in the form of study and teach abroad programs. In addition, professionals can take advantage of the council's research publications and development seminars.
The AACSB promotes the forward progress of management education by accrediting business colleges on an international basis. The organization provides conferences, publications and an employment search system for positions at collegiate management institutions.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- CIEE Knowledge Series
- Education Abroad Faculty Toolkit - includes comprehensive resources, ideas and syllabi for faculty-led embedded and stand-alone off-campus programs from the University of Kentucky.
- Forum on Education Abroad - The Forum on Education Abroad publishes Standards of Good Practice, Standards of Good Practice for Short-Term Education Abroad Programs and Code of Ethics, as well as information about responsible, ethical and sustainable study abroad: Responsible Travel resources from Transitions Abroad, Sustainable Study Abroad from Middlebury College, the Ethical Traveler website.
- Mobility International USA - an organization advocating for international exchange for people with disabilities.
- US Department of State - entry requirements, travel warnings and alerts, country information, websites for study abroad participants, travel tips for foreign countries.
- STEP (Smart Traveler Enrollment Program) - U.S. Department of State program for registering U.S. citizens traveling abroad.
- What's Up With Culture? - an online cultural training resource for study abroad from the University of the Pacific.
- Visiting Scholar Guide - Stetson University's procedures for inviting visiting scholars to teach/ research, at Stetson.
Government and NGO Resources
- Peace Corps
- U.S. Commercial Service
- U.S. Department of State: Teaching Overseas
- United Nations
- The Center for Global Education
- Amnesty International
Overseas Insurance Coverage
- An Overseas Accidents & Sickness Insurance and Crisis Management assistance is automatically provided through AIG/Travelguard for those students participating in Exchange, Semester Study Abroad programs and Faculty-led, course related oversea programs. Faculty and Staff traveling on a course-related oversea program or on approved oversea University business are also automatically covered under the Overseas Accident & Sickness Insurance coverage. Please see the Overseas Information and Links below, and download the Insurance Card to take with you while traveling.
- Students who are studying abroad with an affiliated program with another organization, please be sure to set up your overseas travel insurance before leaving to go abroad. Study Abroad Coordinators can advise you on this process. Please contact the World International Learning office for more information at: 386-822-8165. You do not want to wait until you are abroad to obtain insurance.
AIG Accidents & Sickness Plan Forms, Overseas Travel Card and Coverage Summary:
- A copy of your Travel & Insurance Assistance Card should be carried with you at all times while abroad.
- The Summary of Health Coverage contains information of the plan coverage while abroad.
- A claim can be made with a copy of the Health Insurance Claim Form.
- Note: Stetson does not provide personal property insurance for students while attending the University. Students are responsible for securing such insurance if they want to cover their valuable personal property (such as laptops, phones & other items). The CSI/Gallagher Personal Property Insurance can provide coverage to your personal property on campus and while abroad. To find out more, please go to the Stetson Insurance webpage.