Associate Professor of Mathematics
William Miles, PhD, has had a lot of experiences outside the classroom but he always knew of his passion for teaching at the collegiate level.
- PhD, mathematical sciences, Clemson University
- MS, mathematics, Virginia Commonwealth University
- BS, mathematics, Presbyterian College
- Calculus I
- Calculus II
- Multivariable Calculus
- Linear Algebra
- Differential Equations
- Numerical Analysis
- Operations Research
- Partial Differential Equations
- Elementary Statistics
- Finite Mathematics
- Business Calculus
- Mathematical Statistics
- Real Analysis
Areas of Expertise
- Analysis of numbers
After completing his degree at Presbyterian College, William Miles worked for Rock Hill Telephone Company as special projects administrator. While in this position, he discovered that he preferred academic challenge and returned to complete a master's degree at Virginia Commonwealth University. During his studies at V.C.U., Miles learned that he had a passion for teaching, particularly at the college level. He taught for 2.5 years at Randolph-Macon College as a visiting professor, then was chair of the mathematics department at a two-year institution in South Carolina. To fulfill his desire to teach full-time at the college level, he returned to school to earn a PhD from Clemson University in mathematical sciences. The primary result of his thesis was published in SIAM Journal of Numerical Analysis, regarded as the top U.S. journal in the field and one of the top two journals in the world in numerical analysis. He considered Stetson because of the emphasis the university places on teaching, and he feels fortunate that he is allowed to practice his passion on a daily basis.
- Fluid dynamics
- Mathematics in sports
- Miles, W. and Rebholz, L. "An Enhanced Physics Based Scheme for the NS-alpha Turbulence Model." Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations, 26, 1530-1555, 2010.
- Miles, W., Fowks, G., Coulter, L. "AccuV College Football Ranking Model." Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports, Volume 6, Issue 3, 2010.
- Ervin, V. J. and Miles, W. W. "Approximation of Time-Dependent, Multi-Component, Viscoelastic Fluid Flow." Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Engrg., Vol. 194, pp 2229-2255, 2005.
- Ervin, V. J. and Miles, W. W. "Approximation of Time-Dependent, Viscoelastic Fluid Flow: SUPG Approximation." SIAM J. Numer. Anal.,Vol. 41, No. 2, pp 457-486, 2003.
- Miles, W. W. "Approximation of Multicomponent Fluid Flows with a Varying Coefficient of Interfacial Tension." Computational Methods in Multiphase Flow II, edited by Mammoli, A. A. and Brebbia, C. A., WIT Press, 2004.