Professor of English, Sullivan Chair in Creative Writing
I'm very interested in poetry as an international and inter/arts medium, and happy to teach in both the undergraduate Sullivan Creative Writing Program, which I direct in the English Department and in our MFA of the Americas graduate program.
- PhD/MA, Vanderbilt University
- BS George Peabody College/Vanderbilt University
- Poetry Workshop
- Advanced Open Studio
- Poetry in the Expanded Field
Areas of Expertise
- Visual poetry
- US poetry and poetics
- International experimental poetry
- Contemporary art
Terri Witek is the author of 7 previous books of poems: a new volume, Something's Missing in This Museum, is forthcoming in 2023. Exit Island was a Florida Book Award medalist; The Rape Kit was the Slope Editions Prize 2018 winner, judged by Dawn Lundy Martin. Martin calls The Rape Kit " a grand success, the best we'll get. Fresh, relevant, and heartbreaking" and "a fire in the throat of a culture that has no appropriate language for rape and its aftermath..."
Witek's poetry, though often topical, often traces the breakages between words and visual images. Her visual poetics work is featured in JUDITH: Women Making Visual Poetry (2021) and in the WAAVe Global Gallery of Women's Asemic Writing and Visual Poetry (2021). It has appeared in museum and gallery shows and in site-specific performances as well, often in collaboration with visual artists.
The poet's collaborations with Brazilian visual artist Cyriaco Lopes (cyriacolopes.com) have, since 2005, been shown nationally and internationally: in New York, Seoul, Miami, Lisbon, Valencia (Spain) and Rio de Janeiro. The duo is represented by The Liminal gallery in Valencia: their most recent solo gallery show is the imaginary pediment. Since 2011, collaborations with new media artist Matt Roberts (mattroberts.com) often use augmented reality technology and have been featured in Matanza (Colombia), Lisbon, Glasgow, Vancouver, and Miami. Collaborative work with poet Amaranth Borsuk loops the pandemic and the eco-crisis as a crisis of rain and smoke between worlds; that with weaver Paula Damm combines text/textile. Individual poems have been featured in a wide variety of text venues, including American Poetry Review, Poetry, Slate, Hudson Review, Lana Turner, The New Republic, and many other journals and anthologies.
With Cyriaco Lopes, Witek team-teaches Poetry in the Expanded Field in Stetson University's low-residency MFA of the Americas; they also run The Fernando Pessoa Game as faculty in the Disquiet International Literary Program in Lisbon. Witek also directs Stetson's undergraduate creative writing program and holds the university's Sullivan Chair in Creative Writing. She is the recipient of both the McInery Award and the John Hague Award for teaching. terriwitek.com
- Poetry in the Expanded Field
- Inter/Arts Practices
- Something's Missing in This Museum (forthcoming 2023)
- The Rattle Egg (2021)
- The Rape Kit (2018)
- Body Switch (2016)
- Exit Island (2012)
- The Shipwreck Dress (2008)
- Carnal World (2006)
- Fools and Crows (2003)
Collaborations with Visual Artist Cyriaco Lopes:
- 20 US Poets---a curated anthology selected by Witek with translations into Portuguese by Cyriaco Lopes for Poesia Visual, an art book from Oi, Futuro Museum, Rio de Janeiro ( June, 2018)
- The Cosmogonists: performance at Museum of Contemporary Culture ( Valencia, Spain) 2019
- Damnatio Memoriae, group show in Chosunilbo Museum ( Seoul. Korea) Dec 2017
- Minotauros solo show at Oi, Futuro (Rio de Janeiro) May 2017
- All Love is Stolen solo show in Chania, Crete, 2015,