Stephanie Sauer is a writer, interdisciplinary artist, and publisher. Her publications include Almonds Are Members of the Peach Family (Noemi Press) and The Accidental Archives of the Royal Chicano Air Force (University of Texas Press).
- MFA, School of the Art Institute of Chicago
- BA, California State University, Sacramento
- Introductory Prose
- Intermediate Prose
- Advanced Prose
Areas of Expertise
- Book Arts
- Independent Publishing
Stephanie Sauer is an author, interdisciplinary artist, and publisher. Her most recent book, Almonds Are Members of the Peach Family, was awarded the Noemi Press Book Prize in Prose and named one of the best books of 2019 by both Entropy and Big Other. Her debut, The Accidental Archives of the Royal Chicano Air Force, was the first artist book of its kind to be published by the University of Texas Press and is featured in City Lights Bookstore's Pedagogies of Resistance Recommended Reading List.
Sauer's work has earned the Barbara Deming Memorial Award for Nonfiction and So to Speak Hybrid Book Award, as well as fellowships from Yaddo, Kimmel Harding Nelson Center for the Arts, Mirante Xique-Xique, Americans for the Arts, and Sacramento Metropolitan Arts Commission. Her essays and poetry have appeared in Pleiades, Gulf Coast, Drunken Boat, Asymptote, Grain, Verse Daily, and Lavender Review, and her artist books have been exhibited at the De Young Museum, Chicago Cultural Center, and National Library of Baghdad. She has performed her work widely at spaces that include Cornell University, Galeria de la Raza, ArtRio, and the &Now Festival of New Writing.
Sauer earned her MFA in Writing from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, where her thesis manuscript was selected by US Inaugural Poet Elizabeth Alexander for the SAIC Writing Fellowship. She has taught writing and book arts at the San Francisco Art Institute and California State University's Summer Arts. In addition to teaching in Stetson's MFA of the Americas program, Sauer also serves as director of Lolmĕn Publications for the Shingle Springs Band of Miwok Indians and as a co-founding member of Praça, a national platform for small presses and artist publishers in Brazil.
- Almonds Are Members of the Peach Family. Noemi Press, 2019
- The Accidental Archives of the Royal Chicano Air Force. University of Texas Press, 2016
- "Maybe It's the Only Way." Sinister Wisdom (forthcoming 2023).
- "Make It Bad. Make It Often." Gulf Coast (2021).
- "Floor Cloth Complex." Another Chicago Magazine (2021).
- "Five Ways to Effectively Collaborate with Teams." Los Angeles Review (2021).
- "Crows Rearrange Themselves on Branches." Speculative Nonfiction (2021).
- Whip Stitch Finish." Pleiades (forthcoming, 2020).
- You'd Be Prettier If You Smiled." Grain, 46.4 (Summer 2019).
- Water and Power." American History (2019).
- Good Pressing." Aquifer: The Florida Review Online (October 2018).
- 2018 PLANA Report." Afterimage (Fall 2018).
- Rolling Towards Bethlehem." In These Times (July 2018).
- Raze (Up)." 45th Parallel (June 2018).
- Silent (Against)." Entropy (1 March 2018).
- Between the Ends of Worlds, Touch." PRISM International, 56.1 (Fall 2017).
- Tove Jansson & The Questioning of the Moomins." Asymptote (Summer 2017).
- Nixtamal Mamá." Lavender Review (2017).
- Almonds are Members of the Peach Family." Nasty Women of Words (2017).
- Meet The Pilgrim Fathers." Glint Literary Journal (2017).
- "How Many Girls?," "Northern Sky," "Moído Grosso." MISTRESS, 4 (2017).
- Almonds are Members of the Peach Family." Drunken Boat, 24 (2016).
- Tove Jansson: A liberdade e' a melhor coisa." Lady's Comics (2016).
- Oyster Crackers." WTF...!, 23 (2014).
- For a Happier World," "Travel Poem." WTF...!, 22 (2014).
- there is no grammar." So to Speak (2013).
- The Accidental Archives of the Royal Chicano Air Force." Book excerpt. Boom: A Journal of California, published by University of California Press, 2:4 (2012).
- Alehouse Press, 2 (2008).
- Verse Daily (2008).
- Collaboration Book. Copilot Press, 2019.
- Between the End of Worlds, Touch. Copilot Press, 2017.
- Why the Fuck Publish?: Some Notes on the Making of Books, 2008-2011. Copilot Press, 2016.
- Corral, Alma Leiva, Tatiana Reinoza, Luis Vargas-Santiago. The University of Notre Dame & Copilot Press, 2015.
- Chola Enterprises. Collaboration with Lorraine García-Nakata. Copilot Press, 2015.
- Letters to the Poet from His Brother. Writing & Art: Maceo Montoya. Copilot Press, 2014.
- I Dare You. Selection: Al-Mutanabbi Street Starts Here international artist response project, 2012.
- Miss Ella's Tunnel Mural Tours. Collaboration with Ella Maria Diaz. Copilot Press, 2012.
- there is no grammar. 2012.
- Dream Memoirs of a Fabulist. Collaboration with Doug Rice. Copilot Press, 2011.
- El Chale Gallego y'L Xorty. Collaboration with Jose' Montoya; Copilot Press, 2010.
- a book of presence | a book of absence | a book of presence. 2010.
- it's fun to be naked. Collaboration with Rachel Gontijo Araujo. Copilot Press, 2009.
- The Noun Painter: Collaboration with Esteban Villa. Copilot Press, 2009.
- indefinite - indefinite. 2009
- Project Empowerment: A History of the League of California
- Cities - Latino Caucus. Sacramento: League of California Cities, 2008.