Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Dr. Sibbald had a postdoctoral position at the Center for Drug Design at the University of Minnesota where he developed novel anti-tuberculosis drug targets.
- Ph.D., chemistry, University of Washington
- B.S., chemistry, Alma College
- B.A., history, Alma College
- Cultural and Political Ecology
- Internship in Earth Science
- Internship in Geographic Information Systems
- Environmental Management Internship
- Honors First-Year Seminar - "Enduring Questions"
Areas of Expertise
- Chemical reactions
Paul Sibbald is originally from Michigan and is an alumnus of Alma College. He graduated from Alma College with a B.S. in chemistry and a B.A. in medieval and crusades history. He continued his education at the University of Washington and earned a Ph.D. in organic chemistry with an emphasis on reaction development and study. He then accepted a postdoctoral position at the Center for Drug Design at the University of Minnesota where he developed novel anti-tuberculosis drug targets. When he isn't doing chemistry, Sibbald enjoys spending time with his wife and son, brewing beer and watching baseball and basketball.
- Organic chemistry and synthesis, with an emphasis on reaction development and mechanistic study
- The study of phosphine-borane decomplexation
- Development of new synthetic pathways to biologically active substituted indolizines
- The synthesis of novel dyes with anti-microbial properties
- Ingalls, Erica L.; Sibbald, Paul A.; Kaminsky, W.; Michael, Forrest E. "Enantioselective Palladium-Catalyzed Diamination of Alkenes Using N Fluorobenzenesulfonimide" J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2013, 135, 8854-8856.
- Duckworth, Benjamin P.; Geders, Todd W.; Tiwari, Divya; Boshoff, Helena I.; Sibbald, Paul A.; Barry, Clifton E.; Schnappinger, Dirk; Finzel, Barry C.; Aldrich, Courtney C. "Bisubstrate Adenylation Inhibitors of Biotin Protein Ligase from Mycobacterium tuberculosis" Chemistry and Biology 2011, 18, 1432-1441.
- Lisken, Dmitry V.; Sibbald, Paul A.; Rosewall, Carolyn F.; Michael, Forrest, E. "Palladium Catalyzed Alkoxyamination of Unactivated Alkenes with N-Fluorobenzenesulfonimide as Oxidant" Journal of Organic Chemistry 2010, 75, 6294-6296.
- Sibbald, Paul A.; Rosewall, Carolyn F.; Swartz, Rodney F.; Michael, Forrest, E. "Mechanism of N-Fluorobenzenesulfonimide Promoted Diamination and Carboamination Reactions: Divergent Reactivity of a Pd(IV) Species" J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 15945-15951.
- Rosewall, Carolyn F.; Sibbald, Paul A.; Liskin, Dmitry V.; Michael, Forrest, E. "Palladium-Catalyzed Carboamination of Alkenes Promoted by N-Fluorobenzenesulfonimide via CâH Activation of Arenes." J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 9488-9489.
- Sibbald, P. A.; Michael, F. E. "Palladium-Catalyzed Diamination of Unactivated Alkenes Using N-Fluorobenzenesulfonimide as Source of Electrophilic Nitrogen." Org. Lett. 2009, 11, 1147-1149.
- Michael, F. E.; Sibbald, P. A.; Cochran, B. M. "Palladium-Catalyzed Intramolecular Haloamination of Alkenes" Org. Lett. 2008, 10, 793-796.