Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Paul Sibbald had a postdoctoral position at the Center for Drug Design at the University of Minnesota where he developed novel anti-tuberculosis drug targets.
- PhD, chemistry, University of Washington
- BS, chemistry, Alma College
- BA, history, Alma College
Paul Sibbald is originally from Michigan and is an alumnus of Alma College. He graduated from Alma College with a BS in chemistry and a BA in medieval and crusades history. He continued his education at the University of Washington and earned a PhD in organic chemistry with an emphasis on reaction development and study. He then accepted a postdoctoral position at the Center for Drug Design at the University of Minnesota where he developed novel anti-tuberculosis drug targets. When he isn't doing chemistry, Sibbald enjoys spending time with his wife and son, brewing beer and watching baseball and basketball.
More About Paul Sibbald
Areas of Expertise
- Chemical reactions
- Cultural and Political Ecology
- Internship in Earth Science
- Internship in Geographic Information Systems
- Environmental Management Internship
- Honors First-Year Seminar - "Enduring Questions"
- Organic chemistry and synthesis, with an emphasis on reaction development and mechanistic study
- The study of phosphine-borane decomplexation
- Development of new synthetic pathways to biologically active substituted indolizines
- The synthesis of novel dyes with anti-microbial properties
- Ingalls, Erica L.; Sibbald, Paul A.; Kaminsky, W.; Michael, Forrest E. "Enantioselective Palladium-Catalyzed Diamination of Alkenes Using N Fluorobenzenesulfonimide" J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2013, 135, 8854-8856.
- Duckworth, Benjamin P.; Geders, Todd W.; Tiwari, Divya; Boshoff, Helena I.; Sibbald, Paul A.; Barry, Clifton E.; Schnappinger, Dirk; Finzel, Barry C.; Aldrich, Courtney C. "Bisubstrate Adenylation Inhibitors of Biotin Protein Ligase from Mycobacterium tuberculosis" Chemistry and Biology 2011, 18, 1432-1441.
- Lisken, Dmitry V.; Sibbald, Paul A.; Rosewall, Carolyn F.; Michael, Forrest, E. "Palladium Catalyzed Alkoxyamination of Unactivated Alkenes with N-Fluorobenzenesulfonimide as Oxidant" Journal of Organic Chemistry 2010, 75, 6294-6296.
- Sibbald, Paul A.; Rosewall, Carolyn F.; Swartz, Rodney F.; Michael, Forrest, E. "Mechanism of N-Fluorobenzenesulfonimide Promoted Diamination and Carboamination Reactions: Divergent Reactivity of a Pd(IV) Species" J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 15945-15951.
- Rosewall, Carolyn F.; Sibbald, Paul A.; Liskin, Dmitry V.; Michael, Forrest, E. "Palladium-Catalyzed Carboamination of Alkenes Promoted by N-Fluorobenzenesulfonimide via CâH Activation of Arenes." J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 9488-9489.
- Sibbald, P. A.; Michael, F. E. "Palladium-Catalyzed Diamination of Unactivated Alkenes Using N-Fluorobenzenesulfonimide as Source of Electrophilic Nitrogen." Org. Lett. 2009, 11, 1147-1149.
- Michael, F. E.; Sibbald, P. A.; Cochran, B. M. "Palladium-Catalyzed Intramolecular Haloamination of Alkenes" Org. Lett. 2008, 10, 793-796.