Professor of Education
Patrick Coggins, PhD, currently serves as chair of the Faculty Senate, is a member of the president's Cabinet of Stetson University, and served as a Jessie Ball DuPont Endowed Chair Professor from 1991-2011.
- Ed.S., University of Connecticut
- PhD, University of Connecticut
- J.D., University of Connecticut Law School
- LL.D., University of Arkansas, Pine Bluff
Patrick C. Coggins is a professor of education and multicultural education at Stetson University. He currently serves as chair of the Faculty Senate and is a member of the president's Cabinet of Stetson University. He served as a Jessie Ball DuPont Endowed Chair Professor from 1991-2011. Coggins is the first Caribbean Guyanese professor and holder of an endowed chair at Stetson University.
He has had extensive experience designing and teaching courses in cultural diversity, multicultural education ESOL, social studies methods and classes on cross cultural communication. His publications concern confidentiality, fraud discovery and control, cultural competence and the WWII Tuskegee Airmen.
Coggins also devotes much of his time to student and campus organizations. He is the co-founder and co-Chair of ALANA-IA Faculty Caucus and is the advisor to the Black Student Association, the Hispanic and Latin American Student Organization (HOLA), the Caribbean Student Organization, the Asian Pacific American Students and serves on a Faculty Senate Committee. He is also the Florida commissioner of education's appointee to the Holocaust Task Force. He advises the Cross Cultural Center on cross cultural programs. He serves as the campus coordinator of Dr. Martin Luther King Day Celebration and coordinates the Multicultural Alumni Student Awareness Day during Homecoming weekend. Coggins strives to eliminate the academic achievement gap and the implicit and explicit bias between diverse and majority students by creating an atmosphere of cultural competence between students and faculty while instilling the need to overcome racial, gender and ethnic barriers that impede living in a modern multicultural multiracial society.
More About Patrick Coggins
Areas of Expertise
- Multicultural education
- Cultural Diversity Education
- Multicultural Education
- Education Finance
- Education Law
- Education Leadership
- Education Research
- Resource Management
- Multicultural education
- Diversity in schools
- Gender equality
- African-American history
- The Tuskegee Airmen
- Cultural Competence: An Imperative for an Inclusive World(forthcoming).
- The Spiritual and Biblical Imperatives in Wellness and Integrative Medicine
- Coggins, Patrick (2008). Tuskegee Airman Fighter Pilot: A Story of an Original Tuskegee Pilot Lt. Col. Hirman E. Mann, Trafford Publishing, Oxford, UK. ISBN: 978-1-4251-4732-7.
- Coggins, Patrick (2007). "Using Your FCAT Test Data to Close the Achievement Gap," Multicultural Institute, DeLand, Fla. ISBN: 0-9798206-4-2
- Coggins, Patrick (2007). "Cultural Issues for HIV/AIDS clients from the Caribbean Myths and Realities," Guyana Journal. May 2007.
- Coggins, Patrick (2006). "Cultural Competence in the Prevention of Sexually Transmitted Diseases," American Journal of Health Studies: 21 (4), 2006.
- Davia, Howard and Patrick Coggins (2002) 2nd EditionFraud Detection and Control, New York: John Wiley and Co.