Professor of Decision and Information Sciences
Dr. B. Madhu Rao is a professor of decision sciences and teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in business analytics and business statistics. Dr. Rao came to Stetson in June 2014 as the associate dean for undergraduate programs and served in that capacity until December 2016. Dr. Rao spent most of his academic career at Bowling Green State University in Ohio where he served as professor of Operations Research, chair of the department of applied statistics and operations research, senior associate dean and interim dean of the College of Business Administration.
- PhD, operations research, University of Toronto, Canada
- M.Tech., industrial management, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, India
- B.E., mechanical engineering, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India
Madhu Rao earned his PhD in operations research from the University of Toronto, Canada. He started his academic career at the College of Business Administration at Bowling Green State University in Ohio and served as professor, chair of the department of applied statistics and operations research, senior associate dean and interim dean of the College of Business Administration. During this period, he was recognized for his undergraduate and graduate teaching, research productivity, administrative leadership and service to the university.
He comes to Stetson University from the Atkinson Graduate School of Management at Willamette University in Salem, Oregon, where he served as senior associate dean for two years. His professional experience also includes serving as a member of the technical staff at AT&T Bell Laboratories, visiting faculty at the National University of Singapore, and as industrial engineer for a major engineering firm in India.
More About Madhu Rao
Areas of Expertise
- Quantitative support for business decisions
- Probability modeling of business decisions
- Operations management
- Managerial Business Analytics (BSAN 508)
- Prescriptive Analytics (BSAN 463)
- Business Statistics (STAT 301Q)
- Probability Models for Decision Making
- Operations Management
- Algorithmic methods in modeling and analysis of stochastic systems
- Modeling and analysis of manufacturing systems
- Operations Research applications to business decision making
- Simulation: Modeling and statistical analysis
- B. Madhu Rao (2021) Cumulative Free Replacement Warranty with Phase Type Lifetime Distributions, Computers and Industrial Engineering, Volume 162, 107771 (14 pages).
- B. Madhu Rao, Petros Xanthopoulos and Qipeng Phil Zheng, (2020) DeLand Crayon Company: An Application of the Traveling Salesman Problem to Production Scheduling with Sequence-Dependent Setup Times, INFORMS Transactions on Education. Volume 20(2), 93-98.
- B. Madhu Rao (2011) A decision support model for warranty servicing of repairable items, Computers and Operations Research, Volume 30, pp 112-130.
- Rao, B. M. (1995) Algorithms for free replacement warranties with phase type Product lifetimes, IIE Transactions, Volume 27, 348-357.
- Neuts, M. F. and B. M. Rao (1990) Numerical Investigation of a Multi-server Retrial Model, Queueing Systems - Theory and Applications, Volume 7, 169‑190 (Invited paper).