Assistant Professor of Biology
Lynn Kee is enthusiastic about engaging Stetson undergraduates in scientific practices and critical thinking using modern molecular and genetic tools. Lynn grew up in Malaysia and Japan, before coming to the Unites States for college. She earned her B.S. and Ph.D at the University of Michigan in Cell, Molecular and Developmental Biology, where she investigated cellular trafficking to the specialized signaling center of the primary cilium in cells. At Stetson, she is studying biological processes in genetic model organisms using a combination of microscopy, molecular biology and cell biology.
- PhD, Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- BS, Cellular and Molecular Biology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- BIOL302 - Genetics
- BIOL141P - Biochemistry, Cell Biology and Molecular Genetics
Areas of Expertise
- Molecular Biology
- Cell and Developmental Biology
Dr. Kee grew up in Malaysia and Japan, then moved to the United States for undergraduate and graduate studies the at University of Michigan. Now at Stetson, her research is focused on the cell biology of microorganisms, utilizing microscopy and molecular genetic tools. She is enthusiastic about engaging undergraduates in scientific practices and critical thinking using modern molecular and genetic tools.
- Iridescence of marine bacteria
- CRISPR technology in butterflies
- CRISPR technology in undergraduate education
- Mickol R, Louyakis A, Kee HL, Johnson L, Dawson S, Hargreaves K, Chadwick G, Newman D, Leadbetter J, and Brown C. Draft Genome Sequence of the Free-living, Iridescent Bacterium Tenacibaculum mesophilum strain ECR. Microbiology Resource Announcements. Jan 2021.
- Pieczynski, JN, Kee, HL. "Designer babies?!" A CRISPR-Based Learning Module for Undergraduates Built Around the CCR5 Gene. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education. May 2020.
- Kee HL, Kushner JK, Deuchler CP, Becker AK, Clarke DG, and Pieczynski JN. Using CRISPR-Cas9 to teach the fundamentals of molecular biology and experimental design. CourseSource. 2019.
- Pieczynski JN, McDuffee A^, Deets A^, Kee HL. An Undergraduate Laboratory Experience using CRISPR/Cas9 Technology to Deactivate GFP Expression in Escherichia coli. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education. 2019 Mar;47(2):145-155. ^ Stetson Undergraduate student
- Kee HL, Mikheyeva IV, Mickol RL, Dawson SC, Newman DK, Leadbetter JR. Draft Genome Sequence of the Iridescent Marine Bacterium Tenacibaculum discolor str. IMLK18. Microbiology Resource Announcements. Jan 31 2019.
- National Science Foundation Improving Undergraduate Science Education (IUSE): CRISPR 360Â°: Design, Implementation and Evaluation of a CRISPR gene editing technology toolkit for Undergraduate Education. 2021-2024. H Lynn Kee (PI), Melinda Hall (Co-PI).
- National Science Foundation Major Research Instrumentation Award: Acquisition of a wide-field inverted fluorescent microscope capable of live-cell tracking to support faculty research and undergraduate education at Stetson University. 2019 - 2022.
Holley Lynch (PI), Heather Evans-Anderson (Co-PI), Roslyn Crowder (Co-PI), H Lynn Kee (Co-PI)
- National Science Foundation Scholarships in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Award: Cohort-Based Interdisciplinary Learning to Increase Retention and Graduation Rates of Undergraduate Students in Science, Technology, and Mathematics. 2021 - 2026
William Grubbs (PI), William Miles (Co-PI), Benjamin Tanner (Co-PI), H Lynn Kee (Co-PI), Holley Lynch (Co-PI)