Associate Professor of Mathematics
Dr. Coulter's dissertation on computational fluid dynamics and numerical analysis was completed under the direction of Professor James Glimm.
- PhD, mathematics, NYU
- MS, mathematics, NYU
- BS, mathematics and physics; philosophy, Yale University
Lisa O. Coulter was born in Wilmington, Del., and grew up in the small city of Salisbury, Md., on the Delmarva Peninsula. She has three brothers. A first-generation college student, Lisa attended Yale University where she double majored in mathematics and physics as well as completed a second major in philosophy. She then attended the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences at New York University, completing a master's and a doctorate in mathematics. Her dissertation on computational fluid dynamics and numerical analysis was completed under the direction of Professor James Glimm. After graduation, she accepted an offer to become an assistant professor in mathematics at Stetson and moved to DeLand. She and her husband have two daughters. Lisa's hobbies and interests include music, theater, science fiction and fantasy.
More About Lisa Coulter
Areas of Expertise
- Mathematical Modeling
- Assessment of Undergraduate Curriculum
- Liberal Arts Mathematics
- Calculus I with Review
- Calculus I and II
- Calculus for the Life Sciences
- Business Calculus
- Mathematics and Multiculturalism
- Great Ideas in Mathematics
- Finite Mathematics
- Linear Algebra I and II
- Operations Research
- Mathematical Modeling and Computer Simulation
- Numerical Analysis
- Real Analysis I and II
- Complex Analysis
- Senior Research in Mathematics
- Introduction to Computer Science using PASCAL
- Mathematical modeling
- Numerical analysis
- Undergraduate teaching
- Mathematics and the arts
- History of mathematics
- Assessment of undergraduate education
- Miles, William W.; Fowks, Gary T.; and Coulter, Lisa O. (2010) "AccuV College Football Ranking Model," Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports, Vol. 6: Iss.3, Article 10.
- L. Coulter, Finite Mathematics; in development; available from Stetson University bookstore 2008, 2009, 2011
- L. Coulter, "What is Mathematics? Toward a Global View," Proceedings of the 2003 Florida Section MAA Meetings, David Kerr and Bill Rush, eds., Florida Section of the MAA, June 2003.
- L. Coulter, "Mathematics, Music and the Arts: Making Finite Math Relevant to the Arts Major," Proceedings of the 2002 Florida Section MAA Meetings, Santa Fe Community College, Gainesville, FL, 2002
- G. Williams and L. Coulter, "Linear Algebra with Applications Toolbox," Available from the authors at Stetson via the Web, 1998. The Mathworks, 1995.Update of previous software publication, with MATLAB files to accompany G. Williams Linear Algebra with Applications, Jones and Bartlett.