My areas of specialty include state politics and public policy. My research focuses on American politics with a particular emphasis on the relationship among state legislative politics, bureaucratic politics and democratic governance.
- Ph.D., political science, Brown University
- M.A., political science, Brown University
- B.A., political science, Providence College
- Politics of Public Policy
- American National Government
- Florida Politics
- American Healthcare Policy
Areas of Expertise
- States politics and policy
- Public policy
- Policy diffusion
- Bureaucratic politics
Kelly Smith received her Ph.D. and M.A. in political science from Brown University. She is currently examining the ways in which bureaucratic networks facilitate policy learning among bureaucrats and legislators during the diffusion of policy and its consequences for states as laboratories of democracy. Previously, Smith was a postdoctoral research associate on the education standards research team at the Taubman Center for American Politics and Policy at Brown University.
- David K. Cohen, Susan L. Moffitt, and Kelly B. Smith. The Influence of Practice on Policy. In Shaping Education Policy: Power and Process, Douglas E. Mitchell, Robert Crowson, and Dorothy Shipps (eds.). Taylor and Francis.