Assistant Professor of Counselor Education
Jesse Fox, PhD, earned his doctorate from the University of Central Florida and spent several years on the faculty at Loyola University Maryland in the Department of Pastoral Counseling before joining Stetson in 2017. He has experience working with a range of clinical populations including college counseling, outpatient addiction treatment, community mental health and private practice. He is a project leader for the Spiritual and Religious Competency Project, a $4.5 million grant funded by the John Templeton Foundation. Since 2020, Dr, Fox has served the Executive Director of the Episcopal Counseling Center, a non-profit counseling center serving the DeLand Community since 1987.
- PhD, University of Central Florida
- MA, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
- BA, Cedarville University
- Addiction Counseling
- Evaluation and Assessment
- Statistics and Research Methods
- Multicultural Counseling
- Human Relationships, Methods and Skills
- Practicum in Counseling
Areas of Expertise
- Spirituality and Religion in Counseling
- Spiritual Bypass
- Research Methods
- Contemplative Practices (Centering Prayer)
- Religious Pluralism in Counseling
Jesse Fox, PhD, has a passion for mental health, spirituality and research. His expertise focuses primarily on spirituality integrated counseling, spiritual bypass, contemplative practices and the implications of religious pluralism in counseling. In 2019, he co-authored "Bringing Religion and Spirituality into Therapy: A Process-Based Model for Pluralistic Practice" published by Routledge Press. Since 2021, he has served as a Project Leader for the $4.5 million grant initiative funded by the John Templeton Foundation called the "Spiritual and Religious Competency Project," a national initiative to investigate the role of such competencies in the training of mental health clinicians. He has also served as an editorial board member for The Journal of Counseling and Development, Measurement and Evaluation in Counseling and Development, Counseling and Values: Spirituality, Ethics, and Religion in Counseling, and Counseling Outcome Research and Evaluation, among others.
In 2014, Fox was awarded the Outstanding Dissertation Award and was selected as an Emerging Leader from the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision. In addition to his role as a professor, Fox also directs a non-profit counseling center in the DeLand Community, The Episcopal Counseling Center, which serves hundreds of primarily low-income individuals and families every year since 1987.
- Spiritual Bypass
- Meditation (especially Centering Prayer)
- Clinical Decision-Making
- Spirituality and Counseling Theory
- Stewart-Sicking, J. A., Fox, J., & Deal, P. J. (2019). Bringing religion and spirituality into therapy: A process-based model for pluralistic practice. New York, NY: Routledge Press.
- Fox, J. & Cashwell, C. S. (Under Contract). Spirituality and avoiding difficult emotions: working with spiritual bypass. New York, NY: Routledge Press.
- Piedmont, R. L., Fox, J., & *Copello, E. (2021, Invited). "Whatsoever you do unto the least of my brethren, you do unto me:" Using the Assessment of Spirituality and Religious Sentiments Scale (ASPIRES) in a socially and economically marginalized Rescue Mission sample. 12(7), 474. https://doi.org/10.3390/rel12070474
- Mullen, P. R., Fox, J., Goshorn, J. R., & Warraich, L. K. (2021, Invited). Crowdsourcing for online samples in counseling research. Journal of Counseling & Development. Impact factor 1.4
- Burnham, M. J., Fox, J., Fenzel, L. M., Stewart-Sicking, J., & Sivo, S. (2020). Development and psychometric evaluation of the clericalism observer rating scale. Spirituality in Clinical Practice, 7(4), 310-325. https://doi.org/10.1037/scp0000244
- Piedmont, R. L., Fox, J., & Toscano, M. E. (2020, Invited). Spiritual crisis as a unique causal predictor of emotional and characterological impairment in Atheists and Agnostics: Numinous motivations as universal psychological qualities. Religions, 11, 551. doi:10.3390/rel11110551
- Toussaint, L. L., Cheadle, A. D., Fox, J. & Williams, D. R. (2020). Clean and contain: Initial development of a measure of infection prevention behaviors during the COVID-19 pandemic. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 54(9), 619-625. https://doi.org/10.1093/abm/kaaa064 Impact factor 4.480
- Fox, J., & Piedmont, R. L. (2020, Invited). Religious crisis as an independent causal predictor of psychological distress: Understanding the unique role of the numinous for intrapsychic functioning. Religions, 11(7), 329. doi:10.3390/rel11070329
- Gutierrez, D., *Mason, N., *Dorais, S., & Fox, J. (2020). Gradually sudden: Vital spiritual experiences for individuals in recovery from substance use disorders. Spirituality in Clinical Practice. Advance online publication. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/scp0000218
- Fox, J., *Picciotto, G., Cashwell, C., Worthington, E. L., *Basso, M. J., & *Brow-Corrigan, S. E. (2020). Religious commitment, spirituality, and attitudes toward God as related to psychological and medical help-seeking: The role of spiritual bypass. Spirituality in Clinical Practice. Advance online publication. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/scp0000216
- Toussaint, L., Fox, J., Kamble, S., Worthington, E. L., Cashwell, C., & Picciotto, G. (2020). Initial psychometric properties of the spiritual bypass scale in an Indian college student sample. Psychology of Religion and Spirituality. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1037/rel0000302
- *Braganza, D. J., Piedmont, R. L., Fox, J., Fialkowski, G. M., & Gray, R. M. (2019). Examining the clinical efficacy of core transformation: A randomized clinical trial. Journal of Counseling and Development, 97, 293-305. (Impact Factor: 1.356)
- Fox, J., & *Picciotto, G. (2019). The mediating effects of spiritual bypass on depression, anxiety, and stress. Counseling and Values: Spirituality, Ethics, and Religion in Counseling, 64, 227-245. doi: 10.1002/cvj.12116
- *Pizzigoni, D., Fox, J., & O'Grady, K. (2019). The role of theistic spirituality in adolescent girls' body esteem: A pilot outcome study. Counseling and Values: Spirituality, Ethics, and Religion in Counseling, 64, 72-89. doi:10.1002/cvj.12095
- Flasch, P., Limberg, D., Fox, J., Orht, J., Crunk, A. E., & Robinson, M. (2019). Experiences of altruism in the therapeutic relationship: Perspectives of counselorsâ€inâ€training and their clients. Counseling and Values: Spirituality, Ethics, and Religion in Counseling, 64, 168-185.
- *Picciotto, G., Fox, J., Cashwell, C. S., & Neto, F. (2018). The spiritual bypass scale-Brazilian translation and the effects of religious affiliation, age, and gender on levels of pychological avoidance and spiritualizing. Spiritual Psychology and Counseling, 3(1), 23-46. doi: 10.12738/spc.2018.1.0034.
- Surmitis, K., Fox, J., & Gutierrez, D. (2018). Meditation and appropriation. Counseling and Values: Spirituality, Ethics, and Religion in Counseling, 63(1), 4-16.
- Gutierrez, D., Fox, J., *Jones, K., & *Fallon, E. (2018). The treatment planning of experienced counselors: A qualitative examination. Journal of Counseling & Development. 96(1), 86-96. Impact Factor 1.2
- *Picciotto, G., Fox, J., & Neto, F. (2017). A phenomenology of spiritual bypass: Causes, consequences, and clinical implications. Journal of Spirituality and Mental Health. doi: 10.1080/19349637.2017.1417756
- *Picciotto, G., & Fox, J. (2017). Exploring experts' perspectives of spiritual bypass: A conventional content analysis. Pastoral Psychology. Advance online publication https://doi.org/10.1007/s11089-017-0796-7
- Fox, J., Cashwell, C. S., & *Picciotto, G. (2017). The opiate of the masses: Measuring spiritual bypass and its relationship to spirituality, religion, mindfulness, psychological distress, and personality. Spirituality in Clinical Practice, 4(4), 274-287. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/scp0000141
- Limberg-Orht, D., Bell, H., Fox, J., & Robinson, M. (2017). A phenomenological investigation of altruism from the perspective of counsellors in Scotland. Counselling and Psychotherapy Research. doi: 10.1002/capr.12150
- Fox, J., Gutierrez, D., & Mullen, P. R. (2017, Invited). The nature and function of meditation and prayer in childhood and adolescence. Journal of Child and Adolescent Counseling. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/23727810.2017.1341797
- Sivo, S., Ray, S., Fox, J., Taub, G. & Robinson, E. M. (2017). Structural analysis of character education: A cross-cultural investigation. School Psychology Forum, 11(2), 34-44.
- Fox, J., Mullen, P. R., & Giordano, A. (2017). Forgiveness, humility, and hope: An interview with Everett L. Worthington, Jr., Ph.D. Counseling and Values, 16(1), 11-23.
- Gutierrez, D., Mullen, P. R., & Fox, J. (2017). Exploring emotional intelligence among master's level counseling trainees. Counselor Education and Supervision, 56(1), 19-32.
- Stewart-Sicking, J., Deal, P., & Fox, J. (2017). The ways paradigm: A transtheoretical model for integrating spirituality into counseling. Journal of Counseling and Development, 95(2), 234-241. Impact Factor 1.2
- Jacobson, L., Hundley, G., Bell, H., & Fox, J. (2017). Stories of survivors with dissociative identity disorder: A qualitative investigation of symptoms, traumatic experiences, and relationships. Ideas and Research You Can Use: VISTAS 2017. Retrieved from http://www.counseling.org/knowledge-center/vistas
- Fox, J., Gutierrez, D., *Haas, J., & *Durnford, S. (2016). Centering prayer's effects on psycho-spiritual outcomes: A pilot outcome study. Mental Health, Religion, and Culture. 19(3), 379-392. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13674676.2016.1203299 (acceptance rate varies between 40% to 68% per Journal Editor, 2016)
- Fox, J., Hagedorn, W. B., & Sivo, S. (2016). Clinical decision-making and intuition: A task analysis of 44 experienced counselors. Counselling and Psychotherapy Research, 16(4), 244-255. doi: 10.1002/capr.12084 (35.5% acceptance rate per Journal Editor, 2016)
- Jacobson, L., Fox, J., Bell, H., Zeligman, M., & Graham, J. (2015). Survivors with dissociative identity disorder: Perspectives on the counseling process. Journal of Mental Health Counseling, 37(4), 283-294.
- Bell, H., Jacobson, L., Zeligman, M., Fox, J., & Hundley, G. (2015). The role of religious coping and resilience in individuals with dissociative identity disorder. Counseling and Values, 60, 151-163. (12% acceptance rate per Journal Editor, 2015)
- Gutierrez, D., Fox, J., & Wood, A. (2015). Center, light and sound: The psychological benefits of three distinct meditative practices. Counseling and Values, 60, 234-247. (12% acceptance rate per Journal Editor, 2015)
- Fox, J., Gutierrez, D., *Haas, J., *Briganza, D., & Berger, C. (2015). A phenomenological investigation of centering prayer using conventional content analysis. Pastoral Psychology, 64(6), 803-825. doi; 10.1007/s11089-015-0657-1 (30% to 40% acceptance rate since 2010 per Journal Editor, 2015)
- Fox, J., Bell, H., Jacobson, L., & Hundley, G. (2013). Recovering identity: A qualitative investigation of a survivor of dissociative identity disorder. Journal of Mental Health Counseling, 35(4), 324-341. (30% acceptance rate per Journal Editor, 2012)
- Limberg, D., Bell, H., Super, J., Jacobson, L., Fox, J., Depue, K., Christmas, C., Young, M. E., & Lambie, G. W. (2013). Professional identity development in doctoral counselor education students. The Professional Counselor: Research and Practice Journal, 3(1), 40-53.
- Fox, J., & Jones, K. D. (2013). DSM-5 and bereavement: The loss of normal grief? Journal of Counseling & Development, 91(1), 113-119. (10% acceptance rate per Publications Production Manager, 2012)
- Blount, A., Fox, J., & Young, M. E. (2021, Invited). Culture and couples. In M. E. Young, S. Barden, & L. Long, Counseling and Therapy for Couples (3rd edition), Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson.
- Fox, J. (In press, Invited). Do I compromise to get it published? In J. Swank and C. Barrio Minton (Eds.), Critical Incidents in Counselor Education: Teaching, Supervision, Research, Leadership and Advocacy.
- Fox, J., Cheston. S. & Miller, J. (2020, Invited). Prayer. In C. S. Caswell & J. S. Young (Eds.). Integrating spirituality and religion into Counseling: A guide to clinical practice (3rd ed.), (pp. 213-240), Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
- Fox, J. & Young. M. E. & (2020, Invited). Forgiveness. In C. S. Caswell & J. S. Young (Eds.) Integrating spirituality and religion into counseling: A guide to clinical practice (3rd ed.), (pp. 261-290), Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
- Fox, J., Eriksen, K. Jackson, S. A., Weld, C., & Lester, S. (2020, Invited). Religion and spirituality. In G. McAuliffe (Ed.) Culturally alert counseling (3rd ed.), (pp. 409-442), Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Fox, J., Gutierrez, D., Coffield, J., & Moulder, W. (2015, Invited). The human condition: Pastoral perspectives. In E. Maynard, & J. Snodgrass (Eds.), Understanding pastoral counseling (pp. 51-68). New York: Springer.
- Hagedorn, W. B., Fox, J., Young, T. (2012, Invited). Identifying the cycle: Assessing addiction in young men. In S. Degges-White, & B. Colon (Eds.), Counseling boys and young men (pp. 295-326). New York: Springer.
- Hagedorn, W. B., Fox, J., Young, T. (2012, Invited). Stopping the cycle: Treating addictions in young men. In S. Degges-White, & B. Colon (Eds.), Counseling boys and young men (pp. 327-342). New York: Springer.