Associate Professor of Chemistry, Director of Biochemistry
Dr. Price completed a post-doctoral fellowship at John Hopkins University before becoming a professor at the collegiate level.
- PhD, chemistry, University of Illinois, 1991
- BS, biological science, University of Illinois, 1986
- Organic Chemistry
- General Chemistry
- Junior Seminar (Chemistry: A Global Perspective)
Areas of Expertise
- Interactions of carcinogens with DNA
- Development of drug resistance in organisms
During his tenure as a graduate student, Harry Price specialized in an area of physical biochemistry focusing on the interactions of carcinogens with DNA and how the structure of DNA influences these interactions. After receiving his PhD, he was awarded a postdoctoral fellowship at Johns Hopkins University where he conducted biomedical research that focused on the development of drug resistance in organisms known as trypanosomes.
Since 1995, he has taught chemistry and biochemistry courses at the university level and is currently an associate professor in the chemistry department. When not teaching, or supervising student research, Harry enjoys playing music, cooking, traveling and relaxing with friends and family.
- Computational chemistry of biological molecules and reactive chemical species
- Spectroscopic analysis of biomolecular and cellular systems
- Biochemistry of microbial growth as applied to biofilms, biofuel cells, and fermentation
- Lewis, C.T., and Price, H.L. (2008) "Fluorescence-Based Kinetic Analysis of the Interaction between Avidin and Singlet Oxygen Damaged Lambda Phage DNA." Journal of Young Investigators. Volume 19, 2008.
- Giles, S., and Price, H.L. (2007) "A Computational Investigation of a Biologically Relevant Rearrangement: Significance of Molecular Structure and Orbital Interactions as Related to the Transformation of a Model Endoperoxide into a Hydroperoxide Product." Journal of Young Investigators. Volume 16, 2007.
- Price, H.L. (2005) "Correlating the Positional Reactivity of a Masked Electrophilic Center to the Topology of the Electron Density." Int. J. Quantum Chem. 102, 480-488.
- Price, H.L., and Wallace, R. (2003) "Field-induced reorganization of the neural membrane lipid bilayer: a proposed role in the regulation of ion-channel dynamics." Biosystems, 68, 67-77.