Assistant Professor of Music, Voice
The voice is a fundamental part of our personal identity. Each voice has its own beauty. I often say to my students, "Our voice is enough." Examination of this idea brings peace and empowerment. Combined with the broad knowledge of a liberal arts education, it becomes a powerful instrument for informed and engaged citizens in their speech and song.
- BM, Vocal Performance, Drake University
- MM, DMA, Vocal Performance and Literature, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Bass-baritone Chadley Ballantyne has sung leading roles in productions of Rinaldo, Madama Butterfly, Falstaff, Don Giovanni, Così Fan Tutte, Le Nozze di Figaro, Elijah, The Pirates of Penzance, Cendrillon, Il barbiere di Siviglia, Sweeney Todd, Street Scene, Gallantry, and The Father in Neely Bruce's Hansel and Gretel. His most recent appearances were in Opera Orlando's productions of Le Nozze di Figaro and All is Calm. Dr. Ballantyne is a frequent guest speaker on the topic of applying vocal acoustic pedagogy for both classical and CCM techniques. He has presented his work at the 2017 Pan-American Vocology Association Symposium in Toronto, Canada, the 2017 West Central and Central Region NATS Conferences, the 55th NATS National Conference in Las Vegas, Nevada, the VASTA/PAVA 2018 Joint Conference in Seattle, Washington, the National Opera Association 2020 Southeast Regional Conference, and at the 56th NATS National Virtual Conference.
He is a co-instructor at the Acoustic Vocal Pedagogy Summer Workshop held at the New England Conservatory of Music. Chadley is a contributing author to The Evolving Singing Voice: Changes Across the Lifespan, by Prof. Karen Brunssen.
Ballantyne is Assistant Professor of Music, Voice at Stetson University. He has previously served on the voice faculties of the University of Northern Colorado, the Theatre Conservatory of the Chicago College of Performing Arts at Roosevelt University and North Park University. Ballantyne holds a Bachelor of Music degree from Drake University, and a Master of Music degree and a Doctor of Musical Arts degree from the University of Illinois.
More About Chadley Ballantyne
Areas of Expertise
- Voice acoustics
- Voice pedagogy in Western classical and CCM styles
- Somatosensory awareness of the voice
- Opera and song literature
- Lyric diction
- Adolescent voice
- Applied Voice Instruction
- Diction for Singers
- Voice Pedagogy
- Voice pedagogy
- Voice acoustics
- Neuroscience and somatosensory awareness as they relate to the voice
- Contributing author (2018). The Evolving Singing Voice: Changes Across the Lifespan. San Diego, CA: Plural Publishing.
- Author (2018). "Book Review: Kinesthetic Voice Pedagogy: Motivating Acoustic Efficiency." VOICEPrints, Journal of the New York Singing Teachers' Association 16(1), 19-22.
- Ballantyne, Chadley, Bozeman, Kenneth, and Howell, Ian. "Acoustic and Perceptual Voice Pedagogy: From Impulse and Affect to Pedagogy and Performance." Pre-conference workshop presented at the National Association of Teachers of Singing 56th National Virtual Conference, June 24, 2020.
- Ballantyne, Chadley. "Sound Guidance: Using Auditory and Language Targets in the Studio." Presentation at the National Opera Association Southeastern Conference, Schwob School of Music at Columbus State University, Columbus, Georgia, February 15, 2020.
- Chadley Ballantyne, Actor 6 (Walter), "All is Calm," by Peter Rothstein, Erick Lichte, and Timothy Takach, Opera Orlando, Dr. Philips Center for the Performing Arts, Orlando, Florida, November 1-5, 2019.
- Chadley Ballantyne, Antonio, "Le Nozze di Figaro," by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Opera Orlando, Dr. Philips Center for the Performing Arts, Orlando, Florida, November 1-5, 2019.
- Ballantyne, Chadley and Brunssen, Karen. "The Evolving Singing Voice: Adolescence." Presentation at the American Choral Directors Association (ACDA) National Conference, Kansas City, Missouri, February 27, 2019.
- Ballantyne, Chadley and Obert, Kerrie. "Getting the Twang of it: Updates on the Physiologic, Acoustic, and Perceptual Characteristics." NATS Chat, January 13, 2019.
- Ballantyne, Chadley. "Fun with Vocal Tract Resonances." Micro-workshop presented at the Joint Conference of the Voice and Speech Trainers Association and the Pan American Vocology Association, Seattle, Washington, August, 2018.
- Ballantyne, Chadley. "The Second Vocal Tract resonance: fR2 Strategies in Performance and in the Studio." Poster paper presented at the National Association of Teachers of Singing 55th National Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, June, 2018.
- Ballantyne, Chadley, Bozeman, Kenneth, and Howell, Ian. "Acoustic Vocal Pedagogy Workshop" Summer workshop held annually by the New England Conservatory, Boston, Massachusetts, 2018-2021.