Professor of Statistics
Dr. Thorne is a co-author of numerous statistics textbooks that have been translated into several languages and adopted by universities both nationally and internationally.
- PhD, Indiana University
- MA, Indiana University
- BS, Geneva College
Betty Thorne, PhD, author, researcher and award-winning teacher, is professor of statistics in the School of Business Administration at Stetson University. She is a winner of Stetson University's McEniry Award for Excellence in Teaching, the highest honor given to a Stetson faculty member, and is also a recipient of the university's Advisor of the Year Award, the School of Business Administration's Outstanding Teacher Award, the School of Business Professor of the Year Award, the School of Business Cultural Impact Award,and the Golden Apple Award for best teaching in the JD/MBA program (Stetson's College of Law). Thorne teaches in Stetson University's undergraduate and graduate programs (MBA, executive MBA and JD/MBA) and the summer program in Austria. She is a co-author of numerous statistics textbooks that have been translated into several languages and adopted by universities both nationally and internationally. She serves on key school and university committees. Thorne's research has been published in various refereed journals. Thorne has served the School of Business Administration as the Associate Dean, the Director of Undergraduate Studies, the Director of Undergraduate Business Student Success, and the Chair of the Business Systems and Analytics Department. Thorne holds the Christian R. Lindback Endowed Chair of Business Administration.
More About Betty Thorne
Areas of Expertise
- Business statistics
- Identity theft
- Advanced Topics in Business: Identity Theft: Its Impact on Consumers and Corporations
- Business Statistics
- Current Issues in Decision Sciences
- Contemporary Business Issues: Fundamental Statistical Management Techniques
- Introduction to Business Statistics
- Statistical applications in business disciplines (e.g., accounting, marketing, finance, management)
- Identity theft
- Haddad, S., Thorne, B. M., Ahmed, V., Sause, W. (2018). Teaching Information Technology Alongside Business Analytics: Case Study. Journal of Education for Business/Taylor and Francis Group LLC, 9. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/08832323.2018.1507987
- Chambers, V., Thorne, B. M. (2017). A Financial Wellness Check-up for Students. Journal of the Academy of Business Education, 18(Winter 2017), 337-371.
- Benibo, B., Chambers, V., Thorne, B. M. (2016). Breaking Bad News to Victims of Identity Theft: Lessons from Oncologists. Journal of Accountancy, July 2016, 30-34.
- Thorne, B. M., Stryker, J. P. (2015). The "Dirty Dozen" Tax Scams Plus 1. ABD Journal, 7(1), 22. www.ship.edu/ABDjournal/Publications/
- Chambers, V., Thorne, B. M. (2015). A Key Step that ID Theft Victims May Overlook. (ed.). AICPA Insights. http://blog.aicpa.org/2015/06/a-key-step-that-id-theft-victims-may-overlook.html#sthash.xPtDiEco.k9wsf8jk.dpbs
- Newbold, P., Carlson, W. L. and Thorne, B. (2013). "Statistics for Business and Economics," 8th ed. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentice Hall
- Newbold P., Carlson, W. L. and Thorne, B. (2013). "Estadistica para administracion y economia," 8th ed. Madrid, Spain: Pearson Educacion, S.A.
- Thorne, B. (2013). "Identity Theft: Can Academia Help?" Proceedings of 2013 Academy of Business Disciplines Annual Conference. Ft. Myers Beach, Florida (November 7 - 9, 2013). Peer-reviewed.
- Thorne, B. (2012). "Does It All Add Up? What Quantitative Skills Do Employers Want?" Proceedings of 2012 Academy of Business Disciplines Annual Conference. Ft. Myers Beach, Florida (November 8 - 10, 2012). Peer-reviewed. Best of Session Paper.
- Thorne, B. and Tichenor, J. (2011). "Assessing Business Statistics Learning Outcomes Under Two Curricular Models." Proceedings of Academy of Business Disciplines 13th Annual Meeting, Ft. Myers Beach, Florida. (November 10 - 12, 2011).
- Thorne, B. (2010). "Closing the Loop: From Rubric to Revisions." Proceedings of Academy of Business Disciplines 12th Annual Meeting, Ft. Myers Beach, Florida. (November 10 - 13, 2010). Peer-reviewed.
- Newbold, P., Carlson, W. L. and Thorne, B. (2010). "Statistica," seconda edizione. Milano: Pearson Italia. http://hpe.pearson.it
- Knipe, P. J., Stryker, J. P. and Thorne, B. (2009). "Earnings Stripping Under Section 163(j): Status Quo Vadis?" International Business: Research, Teaching and Practice, 3(1), 91-105. [email protected]. Peer-reviewed.
- Michelson, S., Stryker, J. P. and Thorne, B. (2009). "The Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002: What impact has it had on small business firms?" Managerial Auditing Journal/Emerald Group Publishing Limited, 24(8, 2009), 743-766. http://www.emeraldinsight.com/loi/maj. Peer-reviewed.