How to Apply for Financial Aid

Step 1: Create your FSA ID

  • Before filling out your FAFSA for the first time, you will need to create your FSA ID (if you don't already have one). Go to the FSA ID website to create your username and password that gives you access to Federal Student Aid’s online systems and can serve as your legal signature. Do not share this with anyone. Keep your FSA ID in a safe place because you will use it every year to fill out a new FAFSA.

Step 2: Complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

  • This is a FREE application: you should never be asked to pay for filling this out. If you are then you are not using the correct website.
  • Once you have created your FSA ID you can now fill out your FAFSA. You will only need your tax information (and your spouse's if applicable). Regardless if your parents claim you as a dependent, only YOUR information is needed on the FAFSA at the graduate level.
  • Enter Stetson University College of Law's School Code: E00342.

Step 3: Review your award email

  • After receiving your completed FAFSA, the Office of Student Financial Planning will send you an email containing your award offer with the breakdown of your aid eligibility and the detailed steps for using MyStetson to complete the next steps for receiving financial aid. Note: We typically don't start sending out award emails until March.
  • If we need any more information or documentation from you, you have been denied for the Graduate Plus Loan, or any other missing steps you need to take in order to receive financial aid, our office will email you. Please check your email frequently to ensure timely processing on your side.

Step 4: Submit your seat deposit

  • Once you have decided that you will be attending Stetson, you will submit a $500 non-refundable seat deposit. You will pay via credit card through MyStetson, mail or drop off a check or money order to:

    Stetson University College of Law
    Office of Admissions and Student Financial Planning
    1401 61st Street South
    Gulfport, FL 33707

Step 5: Electronically submit the Terms and Conditions of Receiving Financial Aid form through Banner Web;

  • The Terms and Conditions of Receiving Financial Aid form needs to be signed electronically (as detailed in your award letter) and submitted annually for all new and continuing students through your MyStetson account no later than August 1. You will NOT receive a refund check or direct deposit until this step is completed.

Step 6: Fill out Direct Deposit Form at the Business Office or pick up your refund check.

  • If you have accepted financial aid to cover your living expenses and are expecting a refund via check or direct deposit you can expect it the first business day of the semester. Please contact the Business Office about signing up for direct deposit, picking up your check, any special delivery requirements, or if you have questions about charges to your account.

Requesting Summer Aid

If you intend to take classes during the summer at the College of Law, study abroad, or visit another school you will need to fill out a Financial Aid Summer Request Form. These forms are available in March once the class schedule is finalized in the Registrar's Office.

Step 1: Complete your Summer Request Form.

  • You need to complete a Summer Request Form even if you ONLY receive a scholarship and no loans. The due date of the form is indicated on the request form and you can submit these via drop off, email or fax. Only submit the form once you have finalized your schedule and will not make any more changes.
  • In order to receive financial aid for the summer you must be at least half-time status, taking at least 3 credit hours, and have completed the current aid year FAFSA.
  • Financial aid living expense money is awarded for the duration of the classes you will be taking only. (For example, if you are only taking a class that lasts two weeks, you only get living expenses to cover 2 weeks.
  • If you are taking summer classes to graduate early you must take a minimum of 5 credit hours to receive the ½ residency credit and take two summer semesters. Please contact the Registrar's Office about residency credits and requirements to graduate early.