FAQs - Financial Aid

As a graduate student, financial aid consists of scholarships and/or federal student loans. Graduate students are not eligible for federal grants. More information regarding types of aid can be found on our Types of Aid page.

Yes. Anyone may complete a FAFSA application before applying for admission or being accepted. Make sure you include Stetson University College of Law's Federal ID number (E00342) on the FAFSA so your information will be sent to us electronically. We will email your financial aid award letter after you have been admitted and packaged for aid.

The FAFSA is the only form that Stetson Law requires to apply for financial aid; however, if you borrow student loans, you must complete a promissory note(s) and entrance counseling. Both of these can be submitted online.

A combination of Federal Stafford Unsubsidized and Graduate PLUS loans may be necessary to cover your full cost of attendance. The College of Law’s estimated cost of attendance includes tuition, living expenses, books, transportation, etc. The Federal Stafford Unsubsidized loan covers $10,250 each semester and thus will not cover the full cost of tuition and living expenses. For this reason, many students choose to secure Graduate PLUS loans. Graduate PLUS loans require a credit check and have a higher interest rate and loan origination fee.

Information on interest rates and origination fees can be found on the studentaid.gov website.

No. To minimize your debt you will want to borrow only what you need. When you receive your financial award email detailing how much you are eligible to borrow, you may choose the amount simply by logging in to your MyStetson account. Further detailed instructions will be provided in your award letter.

You should request a copy of your credit report from one of the three credit bureaus below in advance and remedy any deficiencies before accepting your Graduate Plus loan. Some students are required to have co-signers for Graduate PLUS loans. Negative credit may seriously affect your ability to obtain a Graduate PLUS loan and your ability to fund your education.

Experian, 1-888-397-3742, www.experian.com

Trans-Union, 1-800-888-4213, www.tuc.com
CBI/Equifax, 1-800-997-2493, www.equifax.com

The Student Financial Planning team disburses aid to student accounts no sooner than 10 days prior to the start of each semester as allowed under federal law. Your aid will disburse if you meet enrollment criteria and are meeting the standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress. Once aid has disbursed your funds will be applied to your semester charges and any remaining funds will be sent directly to you by check or Direct Deposit.

Yes. Students can receive aid to help cover the cost of any summer coursework including living expenses. The summer is a separate award period and you do not have to complete a new FAFSA. More information on applying for summer aid can be found on our how to apply for financial aid page

If you withdraw from Stetson University College of Law, you may be eligible for a percentage refund of previously paid tuition and fees. Stetson Law's Tuition Refund Policy outlines the refunds that will be made. Students considering a leave of absence or withdrawal during the semester may also wish to understand the impact on their aid. Students should review the Title IV Return of Aid for Leaves and Withdrawals Policy for details on withdrawing. Students considering dropping a class or classes should review Stetson College of Law’s Eligibility to Receive Financial Aid policy to understand how dropping a class can impact your aid.

More information regarding repayment can be found on our Graduation Checklist page. Stetson Law also encourages students to use the free Max Personal Finance Program service for unbiased borrowing and loan repayment guidance. The experts at AccessLex, a nonprofit organization, will help you understand your options. Call them at 1-844-755-HELP!

Students can get detailed information on all of the loans they have borrowed including their loan servicer by logging into their National Student Loan Database (NSLDS) account using their FSA ID.

You can review your charges and billing statement simply by logging into your MyStetson account. You can also visit the Business Office website or contact them directly at the following:
    •    Email Address: [email protected]
    •    Fax: 727-562-7679
    •    Office Location: Tower Bldg Room F102
    •    Phone: 727-562-7805

You can contact Stetson's Office of Student Financial Planning at:
    •    Email Address: [email protected]
    •    Fax: 727-562-7813
    •    Office Location: Next to the Great Hall
    •    Phone: 727-562-7813