Insurance Information for Students
As with most colleges, students enrolled at Stetson University are expected to have adequate health insurance to cover them while attending the university. For domestic students, the ACA mandates that were implemented by the government in 2014 require that most people have health insurance. See below for more information regarding the ACA/Affordable Care Act.
If you are an international student, please see this Webpage Link at the Stetson Intranet:
Insurance Information for International Students page.
(for insurance coverage options while studying in the U.S.)
Domestic Students (U.S. Citizens/Non-International students):
Insurance mandates implemented a few years ago allow students to remain on their parents insurance until age 26 (even if married).
Per the Affordable Care Act (ACA), starting in 2014, the ACA mandates require that most people have insurance, and some could incur a penalty for not having coverage.
To find out more about the Affordable Care Act, applicable tax penalties, special coverage mandates and how to sign up, please go to the Government's ACA Website: www.healthcare.gov (See “Get Answers” Tab at the top of the page)
Voluntary Student-Specific Plans:
Due to low interest and lack of enrollment, a student-specific voluntary plan is no longer available at this time.
Searching for Plans:
If you are not currently covered under your parent's plan or another health plan, or you have currently lost coverage through no fault of your own, please see the “Searching for Plans” Tab to find information that may be helpful in finding a health plan that is right for you.
24-Hour Nurse Line: 866-799-2670 (toll-free)
- Nurse Line - Talk with a trained nurse about your health or medical concerns at any time.
- Available 24 Hours a day, 365 Days per year
Student Personal Property Insurance Coverage
- Reasonable coverage just for college students.
- Includes accidental damage, theft, hurricane, flood, fire, lightning surge, etc.
- Student Plan is primary over parents' homeowners insurance, which often have high deductibles.
- Protect your computer, cell phone and other electronics and valuables for as little as $100 for a year's coverage and deductibles as low as $25.
- Coverage is available to students living on-campus and off-campus.
- Coverage applies while gone on breaks and traveling abroad.
- Coverage extends to bikes, jewelry and musical instruments up to $2,000.
Please note that as with any property insurance plan, make sure to document the property you are covering. Documentation can include purchase receipts, photos of the items and written records of the product name, model number, value/cost you paid and any applicable serial numbers. Keep this information in a file in case you need to make a claim.