Jesse Fox, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Counselor Education
Jesse Fox, Ph.D., earned his degree from the University of Central Florida and most recently spent several years on the faculty at Loyola University, Maryland. He has experience working with a range of clinical populations that spans a college counseling, outpatient addiction treatment, community mental health, and private practice. His research focuses primarily on contemplative practices, spirituality integrated counseling, and the development of clinical decision-making or intuition. He is also an editorial board member for The Journal of Counseling and Development, Measurement and Evaluation in Counseling and Development, Counseling and Values, and Counseling Outcome Research and Evaluation.
- Ph.D., University of Central Florida
- M.A., Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
- B.A., Cedarville University
- Evaluation and Assessment
- Addiction Counseling
- Surmitis, K., Fox, J., & Guttierez, D. (In-Press). Meditation and appropriation. Counseling and Values.
- Fox, J., Cashwell, C. S., & *Picciotto, G. (In-Press). The opiate of the masses: Measuring spiritual bypass and its relationship to spirituality, religion, mindfulness, psychological distress, and personality. Spirituality in Clinical Practice.
- Limberg-Orht, D., Bell, H., Fox, J., & Robinson, M. (In-Press). Practicing counselors in Scotland perceptions of altruism: A phenomenological investigation. Counselling and Psychotherapy Research.
- *Pizzigoni, D., Fox, J., & O'Grady, K. (In-Press). The Effect of theistic affirmations and meditative exercises on body esteem: A pilot outcome study. Counseling and Values.
- Gutierrez, D., Fox, J., *Jones, K., & *Fallon, E. (In-Press). The treatment planning of experienced counselors: A qualitative examination. Journal of Counseling and Development. Impact Factor 1.2
- Fox, J., Guttierez, D., & Mullen, P. R. (2017). The nature and function of meditation and prayer in childhood and adolescence. Journal of Child and Adolescent Counseling.http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/23727810.2017.1341797
- Sivo, S., Ray, S., Fox, J., Taub, G. & Robinson, E. M. (2017). Structural analysis of character education: A cross-cultural investigation. School Psychology Forum, 11(2), 34-44.
- Fox, J., Mullen, P. R., & Giordano, A. (2017). Forgiveness, humility, and hope: An interview with Everett L. Worthington, Jr., Ph.D. Counseling and Values, 16(1), 11-23.
- Gutierrez, D., Mullen, P. R., & Fox, J. (2017). Exploring emotional intelligence among master's level counseling trainees. Counselor Education and Supervision, 56(1), 19-32.
- Stewart-Sicking, J., Deal, P., & Fox, J. (2017). The ways paradigm: A transtheoretical model for integrating spirituality into counseling. Journal of Counseling and Development, 95(2), 234-241.
- Jacobson, L., Hundley, G., Bell, H., & Fox, J. (2017). Stories of survivors with dissociative identity disorder: A qualitative investigation of symptoms, traumatic experiences, and relationships. Ideas and Research You Can Use: VISTAS 2017. Retrieved from http://www.counseling.org/knowledge-center/vistas
- Fox, J., Gutierrez, D., *Haas, J., & *Durnford, S. (2016). Centering prayer's effects on psycho-spiritual outcomes: A pilot outcome study. Mental Health, Religion, and Culture. 19(3), 379-392. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13674676.2016.1203299 (acceptance rate varies between 40% to 68% per Journal Editor, 2016)
- Fox, J., Hagedorn, W. B., & Sivo, S. (2016). Clinical decision-making and intuition: A task analysis of 44 experienced counselors. Counselling and Psychotherapy Research, 16(4), 244-255. DOI: 10.1002/capr.12084 (35.5% acceptance rate per Journal Editor, 2016)
- Jacobson, L., Fox, J., Bell, H., Zeligman, M., & Graham, J. (2015). Survivors with dissociative identity disorder: Perspectives on the counseling process. Journal of Mental Health Counseling, 37(4), 283-294.
- Bell, H., Jacobson, L., Zeligman, M., Fox, J., & Hundley, G. (2015). The role of religious coping and resiliency in individuals with dissociative identity disorder. Counseling and Values, 60, 151-163. (12% acceptance rate per Journal Editor, 2015)
- Gutierrez, D., Fox, J., & Wood, A. (2015). Center, light and sound: The psychological benefits of three distinct meditative practices. Counseling and Values, 60, 234-247. (12% acceptance rate per Journal Editor, 2015)
- Fox, J., Gutierrez, D., *Haas, J., *Briganza, D., & Berger, C. (2015). A phenomenological investigation of centering prayer using conventional content analysis. Pastoral Psychology, 64(6), 803-825. DOI: DOI 10.1007/s11089-015-0657-1 (30% to 40% acceptance rate since 2010 per Journal Editor, 2015)
- Fox, J., Bell, H., Jacobson, L., & Hundley, G. (2013). Recovering identity: A qualitative investigation of a survivor of dissociative identity disorder. Journal of Mental Health Counseling, 35(4), 324-341. (30% acceptance rate per Journal Editor, 2012)
- Limberg, D., Bell, H., Super, J., Jacobson, L., Fox, J., Depue, K., Christmas, C., Young, M. E., & Lambie, G. W. (2013). Professional identity development in doctoral counselor education students. The Professional Counselor: Research and Practice Journal, 3(1), 40-53.
- Fox, J., & Jones, K. D. (2013). DSM-5 and bereavement: The loss of normal grief? Journal of Counseling and Development, 91(1), 113-119. (10% acceptance rate per Publications Production Manager, 2012)
- Fox, J., Gutierrez, D., Coffield, J., & Moulder, W. (2015). The human condition: Pastoral perspectives. In E. Maynard, & J. Snodgrass (Eds.), Understanding pastoral counseling (pp. 51-68). New York: Springer.
- Hagedorn, W. B., Fox, J., Young, T. (2012). Identifying the cycle: Assessing addiction in young men. In S. Degges-White, & B. Colon (Eds.), Counseling boys and young men (pp. 295-326). New York: Springer.
- Hagedorn, W. B., Fox, J., Young, T. (2012). Stopping the cycle: Treating addictions in young men. In S. Degges-White, & B. Colon (Eds.), Counseling boys and young men (pp. 327-342). New York: Springer.
- Phone: 386-822-7132