Life After Graduation
A Bachelor's Degree in biology is good preparation for medical or medicine-related schools or for graduate work. Many biology majors choose employment immediately after graduation, building careers as laboratory technologists, naturalists, teachers, museum and zoo curators, governmental agricultural experts, environmental consultants, science writers or editors, science photographers, science librarians, and sales people in pharmaceutical, biomedical supplies or laboratory equipment. Other fields open to biology majors include bio- and genetic engineering, alternative energy resource development, and computer software development.
Recent graduate Jordan Cockfield at Stetson Showcase 2016
You will find Stetson biology alumni in a wide variety of professions:
Some of our 2010 graduates:
- Alvin deTorres is currently in medical school at the University of Central Florida.
- Misti Camelin is enrolled in the master's program in Forestry at Auburn University.
- Alicia Bainter is enrolled in veterinary school at the University of Missouri.
- Michael Quackenbush is studying optometry at the Southern College of Optometry in Memphis, TN.
Some other alumni:
- Sam Rabin, '09, is enrolled in the Ph.D. program in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at Princeton University.
- Michael Werner, '09 is enrolled in the Ph.D. program in molecular biology at the University of Chicago.
- Audra Leedy, '08 is enrolled in the Physician's Assistant program at Nova Southeastern University.
- Jonathan Alvarez, '08, is a dental student at the University of Iowa.
- Hayley Rutger, '07, completed a master's degree in scientific writing at the University of California, Santa Cruz and is now a Public Relations Specialist at the Mote Aquarium in Sarasota, FL.
- William McSwain, '07, is attending Medical School at Vanderbilt University.
- Joseph Delmond, '06 is enrolled in Dental School at the University of Florida.
- Sean Gorman, '06 is working for a biotechnology company in San Diego, CA.
- Monique Rashid, '05 is enrolled in the Behavioral Analysis Ph.D. program at the University of Florida.
- Kathryn Berg '04, is working in landscape architecture in Orlando.
- Kristen Marshall Mattson, '04, received a master's degree from the University of Florida and is an Environmental Educator at The LowCountry Institute in Okatie, SC.
- Katie Galvin, '03, received a Ph.D. in Neuroscience from the Mayo Graduate School and is doing stem cell research in Kansas City.
- Scott Pritchard, '03, received a master's degree in epidemiology from Yale University and is the epidemiologist for Sarasota County, FL.
- Ashley Boyd, '02, is a veterinarian in Ocala, Florida.
- Steve Deyrup, '01, received a Ph.D. in chemistry from the University of Iowa and is presently a postdoctoral researcher at Cornell University.
- Kristin Wildeboer, '00, received a Ph.D. in Neuroscience at the University of Florida and is currently a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Colorado
- Joseph Cheatwood, '98received a Ph.D. in Physiological Sciences (Neuroscience) from the University of Florida, and is currently a postdoctoral fellow at Loyola University in Chicago.
- Bryan Hains, '95, received a Ph.D. in Neurobiology, University of Texas, currently a research assistant professor at Yale University.
- Melissa Pilgrim, '93, is an assistant professor of Biology at the University of South Carolina - Upstate.