Stetson University

Student Resources and Services

Frequently Asked Questions

What does it mean to be alleged with violating the Code of Community Standards?

A Stetson student, faculty or staff member, or a member of the community has submitted a complaint claiming that your behavior, as described in your alleged violation letter, is a violation of the Code of Community Standards. Know the the University, not that individual, is actually alleging the violations.

What is a letter of an alleged violation?

A letter of an alleged violation is a document sent via e-mail which outlines to the student the alleged violation of the Code of Community Standards.  This letter will outline if you need to call in to schedule or if a meeting has already been set.

What should I do if I receive a letter of an alleged violation?

You should contact the Office of Community Standards at 386-822-7205 to schedule your administrative hearing.

What happens if I ignore the letter of an alleged violation that I have received?

An appointment will be set by the Office of Community Standards and sent to you via e-mail. If you fail to attend the hearing, you may be found responsible for the alleged violation in your absence.

What if I cannot meet at the scheduled time of my administrative hearing?

It is your responsibility to meet at the specified time. If you cannot meet at the scheduled then you will need to contact the Office of Community Standards to reschedule your hearing.

What will happen at my administrative hearing?

You will be informed of the alleged violations and the judicial process. You will have the opportunity to tell your version of the allegations, ask questions, provide information, and respond to the alleged violations.

What should I wear to my judicial hearing?

It is suggested that you wear something nice, but casual.

Can I bring someone with me to the judicial hearing?

You are entitled to have an advisor. An advisor can be any person that you wish. It is helpful to choose someone who knows you, is reliable and whom you trust. An advisor can be a friend, faculty or staff member. Please note that a Resident Assistant (RA) is not permitted to serve as an advisor due to their role on campus. Also, an advisor cannot be an attorney.  The purpose is to have a peer support.

If I am alleged of a violation under the Code of Community Standards, could I face charges from the court system?

The conduct process does not inform external agencies of your involvement in the judicial process. However, if a law enforcement agency has information to suggest that your behavior might have broken local, state or federal law; the agency may proceed with its own investigation and charges.

What types of sanctions can be imposed in my case?

A sanction is determined on a case by case basis. The sanction reflects the needs of the individual student and the impact of the student's behavior on the community. Sanctions can range from an administrative warning to expulsion.

Will I be expelled from the University?

Suspension (separation from the university for a specified period of time) and expulsion (permanent separation from the university) are reserved for the most serious violations of the Student Code of Community Standards. When behavior is harmful to a member of the University, severely interrupts the educational process, or repeats past violations, suspension or expulsion may be a necessary sanction.

What will happen if I don't complete my sanctions?

Without an appeal you will be responsible for completing the sanctions that have been imposed. Failure to do so will result in additional violations and more severe sanctions.  A hold may be placed on some students accounts which will prohibit you from academic changes in your schedule.

What happens if I withdraw from the university before my administrative hearing?

If you withdraw from the university before an administrative hearing then the issue will be resolved before you will be allowed to re-enroll.

Will this charge go on my academic record?

A judicial sanction will not. However, in cases of academic dishonesty, a notation may be made on your academic record. If you are sanctioned with expulsion or suspension, a notation will appear on your academic transcript. The expulsion notation is permanent; the notation for the suspension is removed when the suspension ends.

The violations will become part of your judicial record which is maintained by the Office of Community Standards for multiple years. It is important to remember that judicial records are a part of the students' educational record and can be a factor in background checks and in some graduate school admissions procedures.

How do I request a judicial record?

A Student Conduct Record Request (commonly referred to as a dean's certification) occurs when a student submits the proper form to the Office of Community Standards so that we can report their disciplinary record at Stetson University to interested educational institutions (graduate or professional schools) or government agencies. A Disciplinary Record Request also occurs when a member of the Federal Government comes in with a request for information on a student.

In either case, a release authorization is required. Please complete the Authorization and Consent to Release Education Records form from the registrar's office and return it via fax or campus mail to our office.

Note: All judicial request forms must be submitted five to seven business days prior to their deadline.

How do I appeal a judicial decision?

A student may request an appeal of a decision within three business days of the decision being made. The student must complete the Judicial Appeal Request within three days of the decision being made.

For an appeal to be considered one of the following must apply:

  • The student has new evidence available that was not available prior to the original hearing;
  • The judicial process as outlined was not adhered to during the student's original hearing;
  • The sanctions are not appropriate to the violation for which the student has been found responsible.

Who are the Title IX Coordinators?

Information around Title IX coordinators, our non-discrimination statements and similar practices can be found on the university's Title IX page.

Share Web Page