Peace Corps Prep
The Peace Corps Prep program will prepare students for international development fieldwork and potential Peace Corps service. To accomplish this, students build four core competencies through interrelated coursework, hands-on experience, and professional development support. The four competencies, or "learning objectives," are
- Training and experience in a work sector
- Foreign language skills
- Intercultural competence
- Professional and leadership development
Training and Experience in a Work Sector
Leveraging concrete knowledge and skills is central to on-the-ground international development work. Through this program, you will begin to build a professional specialty, which should serve your career well whether or not you become a Peaces Corps Volunteer.
- 3 courses that align with a specific work sector
- Minimum of 50 hours of volunteer or work experience in that same sector
Stetson supports five sectors in which Peace Corps Volunteers serve
- Youth in Development
- Community Economic Development
Foreign Language Skills
Working across cultures often entails verbal and nonverbal languages distinct from your own.
Requirements vary by language
Engaging thoughtfully and fluidly across cultures begins with one's own self-awareness. With this learning objective, you will deepen your cultural agility through a mix of three introspective courses in which you learn about others while reflecting upon your own self in relation to others. The goal is for you to build your capacity to shift perspective and behavior around relevant cultural differences.
- 3 approved courses
Professional and Leadership Development
International development is a highly professional sector. It is difficult to break into and demands great initiative and leadership to advance professionally within the field.
- Attend a resume workshop offered by Career and Professional Development
- Attend an interview workshop offered by Career and Professional Development
- Participate in a Leadership Education and Development program and serve in a leadership role on campus
Interested in Applying for Peace Corps Prep?
Complete the Peace Corps Prep interest form on www.stetson.edu/ulead