Institutional Review Board
The Institutional Review Board is charged with protecting human subjects involved in research by Stetson University faculty, staff, and students. The IRB reviews research protocols, the informed consent process, and the procedures used to enroll participants to ensure that research is conducted ethically and in compliance with Federal Policy for the Protection of Human Subjects and university regulations.
Any "systematic investigation designed to develop or contribute to generalizable knowledge that involves obtaining information about living individuals through intervention or interaction with those individuals" requires IRB review. Research that does not involve direct contact with subjects may also require IRB review if the information obtained is identifiable (it can be associated with a particular person) and private (people could reasonably expect that their behavior will not be observed or that the information they provide will not be made public). The Research Decision Chart can help you decide if your research requires IRB review.
To reach the Stetson University IRB website, login to MyStetson, choose the Resources tab, then select MentorIRB under the Enterprise Systems heading. For more information, please contact the IRB Chair, Dr. Michael Eskenazi, at [email protected] or 386-822-7398.
2021-2022 IRB Members
- Michael Eskenazi, PhD, Assistant Professor of Psychology
- Deborah Goldring, PhD, Associate Professor of Marketing
- Timothy Kaye, PhD, Professor of Law
- Chadley Ballantyne, PhD, Assistant Professor of Music, Voice
- Sarah Garcia, PhD, Assistant Professor of Psychology
- Rick Medlin, PhD, Professor of Psychology
- Meryl Baker, PhD, community representative