Professor of Leadership
In 2016, Dr. Subramanian was invited to serve on the editorial board of Case Research Journal, after he won an award from the journal as its "Most Outstanding Ad Hoc Reviewer."
- Ph.D., organizational theory/policy, University of North Texas, 1990
- MGMT 495: Strategic Management
- MGMT 595: Strategic Management (E.M.B.A. Program)
Areas of Expertise
Ram Subramanian is professor of leadership in the management department in the School of Business Administration. Ram teaches courses in strategy both at the undergraduate and at the M.B.A. levels. He makes extensive use of the case method in his classes. Ram's research interests include both traditional empirical research (in various areas of strategy) as well as in the case method. In 2016, Ram was invited to serve on the editorial board of Case Research Journal, after he won an award from the journal as its "Most Outstanding Ad Hoc Reviewer."
Dr. Subramanian’s academic background is in strategic management. In addition, he teaches courses in a variety of areas in the broad field of management including family business, entrepreneurship and organizational behavior.
His research interest is in examining various facets of the organization-environment relationship and has published papers related to market orientation and environmental scanning in Journal of Management, Journal of Business Research and Management International Review, among others. He is deeply interested in the case methodology and has published teaching cases in Case Research Journal, Business Case Journal and Asian Case Research Journal. He has several cases in the Ivey Publishing depositary that distributes cases worldwide.
In 2013, he was a Fulbright specialist scholar in case methodology and taught case writing and case teaching to faculty in two Indian business schools.
- How organizations interface with the external environment
- Shareholder rights
- Case method: teaching using cases
- Case method: developing teaching cases
- Shareholder Spring and Social Activism: A Study of 2013-2015 Proxy Filings, accepted for publication, Corporate Governance, 2017.
- When Tragedy Strikes the Supply Chain, Harvard Business Review, January-February, 2016.
- Selco Solar Private Limited, Asian Journal of Management Cases, 2015.
- Kraft Foods, Inc. in India: The Cadbury Acquisition (co-authored), Asian Case Research Journal, 18(2), 371-399, 2014.
- Under Armour (co-authored), Business Case Journal, 19(2), 62-83, 2012.
- The Evolution of Research and Development in the Pharmaceutical Industry: Toward the Open Innovation Model - Can Pharma Reinvent Itself? International Journal of Business Innovation and Research, 5(1), 63-74, 2011.